Previous topicNext topic

Synchronizing Video Modules (newbie's question...)

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Magneto66

Synchronizing Video Modules (newbie's question...)

Post by Magneto66 »

Hi, i'm brand new member of this forum so i'm sorry if this question is about a topic that's already been discussed … I recently purchased the performer edition od MMV and i planned to use it for my Live Performances, probably using a MIDI track of Ableton Live (running to a second Laptop) to send control messages (scene changes, parameters changes, etc …) This is my question : I need to send multiple versions of the same video file "in parallel" switching from one to another without loosing the sync. As i wrote, all the videos are equals, or better, they all represent different versions of the same character doing the same things with the same background (for example, the character has a different colour of its hair in every video) … so switching from one to another i would realize multiple "transformations" of the character while it's moving (walking, dancing, etc …) I tried many ways : connecting video modules (each one with its different version of the video file) to input selector module, or to mix (multiple mix) module, i used transparency module to each video file (changing the values via MIDI of course) and of course i gave the "synchronize modules" command but the videos are always out of sync … SO when i pass (smoothly or immediately) from one to another, i can't get the desired effects : character's transmutation while it's moving. When i switch from the video A where the character has black hair from the video B where it's blonde (for example), the video B isn't perfectly in sync with video A, its "position" in the timeline is different, alhough the two videos are identical, except from the hair of the character … I even tried to assign exactly the same video to two media modules but even in this case, they are not in sync … Any suggestion ? Thank You in advance, Best Regards
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Synchronizing Video Modules (newbie's question...)

Post by Magic »

The problem with the Mix modules is that they turn off their inputs, which is why the playback gets desynchronized.

What you need to do is have all the Video modules playing all the time, and then adjust the color or transparency of each one.

For example:

VideoFile --> Transparency \
VideoFile --> Transparency --> etc.
VideoFile --> Transparency /

Make sense?
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Eric wrote:The problem with the Mix modules is that they turn off their inputs, which is why the playback gets desynchronized.

What you need to do is have all the Video modules playing all the time, and then adjust the color or transparency of each one.

For example:

VideoFile --> Transparency \
VideoFile --> Transparency --> etc.
VideoFile --> Transparency /

Make sense?
It makes sense and it WORKS VERY WELL, i also was thiinking about this kind of solution … Thank You Eric, You've been very nice !!! I Can assign a MIDI CONTROL to every transparency so i can switch (immediately or smoothly) to one video to another using an Ableton MIDI TRACK (or every kind of external MIDI SEQUENCER) … GREAT :D !!! It's perfect for live performance … The problem arise if i want to export the final result to a movie file … As You Know, exporting function in MMV doesn't support real time external controllers, so the continuous change of transparency can't be exported … It would be great if i could add a MIDI file with CC changes but that's impossible … You can add MIDI files only to play music by the internal device of Your computer … Maybe this feature will be implemented in the future ? Anyway, once again, Thank You so much !!!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes you can assign a MIDI control to each Transparency.

Yes you can have a MIDI file with CC changes.
W3rD

Post by W3rD »

My solution to this problem (if I'm understanding your problem correctly.) Is to use:

Step A
In globals panel (ctrl + shift + L)

1. add global

2. link global (two rings button on right side of node)

3. set link to "no source"

4. add "feature" (equals button on global node) "increase (linear)"

_____

Step B
On "Videofile" node in scene

1. link Videofile node (two rings button again)

2. set link source to "Globals"

3. set link feature to "Global 0" (assuming you only created the one global)

4. uncheck "scene start"

Do Step B on every video file you need to connect and now your video will transition seamlessly through each scene.

Hope this was clear enough.

Cheers