Previous topicNext topic

How to reset Sine Osc modifier to start from 0

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
pyc

How to reset Sine Osc modifier to start from 0

Post by pyc »

Hello everyone!

It should be simple but I'm thinking how to solve this for about 2 hours now. What I want to achieve is that Text layer shows from 2nd to 5th second of video and that is alright: easily done with Playback Internal variable. What I want is that it fades in and out and I see it can be done with Transparency module and Sine Oscillator, but Sine Oscillator oscillate always, even while video is not running, so fade in starts from arbitrary point, but I need it to start from 0, when Text layer becomes powered on (from 2nd to 5th second of video).

Probably somebody has solved some similar problem in Magic, please help.
Sadler

Re: How to reset Sine Osc modifier to start from 0

Post by Sadler »

Here's one method - the multimix will fade in, hold then fade out over 15 seconds with an Increase of 0.2. A value of 0.6 will give you 5 seconds. You can build up a whole sequence of text this way - assuming each is displayed for the same amount of time.
timed_fade.jpg
timed_fade.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'm sure there are many ways to do this. My thought is that if you want an alternative sin oscillator, you can use sin(x) in the Expression modifier.
pyc

Post by pyc »

Multimix is not the solution because it it fades one input out to display other one. I need one layer to be shown always and second one with the text to fade in and out...

As for sin(x) solution in with Expression modifier, yes, that's how I wanted to solve it yesterday, and I just managed to solve it with this Expression: if((x>=2) and (x<3.5)) sin(x); else cos(x); (x is Playback Time).

Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Multimix is not the solution because it it fades one input out to display other one. I need one layer to be shown always and second one with the text to fade in and out...
Multimix would work fine for that situation. Just don't use it for the top layer, only use it for the other ones.