Previous topicNext topic

Reload video file

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
D1gits

Reload video file

Post by D1gits »

Hi there Magic wizards forum...

I have a new show in the creation. And Im using magic to fire one video file, but at different positions and with different masks.
Input selector, and the video file
Input selector, and the video file
Skärmavbild 2019-09-24 kl. 17.32.54.png (699.33 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
I want to be able to replace the file with a new one and be able to play them at with all the different effects and positions.
In Resolume for example a file can be replaced automatically if you switch form one deck to another. But if I switch Scene in Magic the old file seem to be stored in the RAM memory... So the newly replaced file, is not played. Whats played is the old one even thou it does not exist.

In the show, everything is highly automated. And Id love to automate this. One solution for me would be if you could have OSC control over the Reload button on the "videofile" player. Is there any other solutions that works already, a workaround that would do the job :)

In short, reset a lot of files, by automation or similar.

All the best. D1gits
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Reload video file

Post by Magic »

Are you getting new video files as the show goes on? That's the only reason I can think of that you'd want to reload them. Otherwise it's much more efficient to have everything loaded at the beginning of the show and just switch between them with an InputSelector, etc.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Exactly. We will replace the video file during the show.

The case is that we have one longer video with a lot of different parts In it. So that the starting point of the video is different but the file is the same. And we create a new video with the audience in every show. That's why we need to reload the file x 10 (or even more in the final version of the show).

Are there any other work arounds out there as for now?!

/best. D1gits
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok. We specifically didn't implement MIDI/OSC control for the reload button because reloading a file is not a real-time task and it will cause many frames to be dropped, possibly up to 1 second or more, depending on the file.

The feature is on our list but I can't say it's the highest priority.

The best workaround I can give you is to stream the video into Magic via Spout/Syphon or the VideoStream module or something like that.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Ok. I see. Well I'm really looking forward to the moment we have the possibility to OSC map everything : ) As I've said before, it will open up possibilities for us creators that can't be figured out in forehand... I actually got it much cleaner by simply having two videos and sending OSC positions to the Start Time function. Then sending another OSC cue to Goto Start. And here comes some other questions:

Is there any way to implement a Paus And Play function, and maybe have the start time to be more like a cue going in Magic. Like in Resolume or how a cue point works on a DJ CD player... So that if the video is running, and I send a new start point the video instantly plays the video from that point and if the video is paused, the new start point will just be paused at its position.

Also, is there any expression in the Goto Start OSC listener that makes it triggable with just one message, lets say:
/gotostart 1.0

As I have figured it all out I need to reset the listener with a:
/gotostart 0.0

for the
/gotostart 1.0
to work again... and that seems to be one message to much or?

All the best. D1gits
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Pause is achieved by setting the Speed parameter to 0.

The Goto Start parameter is a button, and if you think about it, a button doesn't work unless you push it and then release it. If you just keep holding it down, there's no way to push it again. The parameter is meant to work like this so that it can respond to an actual physical button on a controller, and/or so that it doesn't get repeatedly triggered when it's only supposed to be triggered once. The 1 (push) and then the 0 (release) ensure the delineation between each intentional triggering.

A couple times in this topic you've mentioned how Resolume works and that it has functionality you prefer, so another solution would be for you to use Resolume and feed it into Magic via Spout/Syphon or vice versa, as needed. If the primary focus of your performance is video playback, I'd strongly recommend using Resolume anyway because Magic's video functionality is meant to be just one small component rather than the whole purpose of the app. Resolume is primarily a video player, Magic is not.

As I'm sure you can understand, there are many people who would specifically prefer the playback to NOT automatically go to the Start Time right when it's edited. It's especially more forgiving in a live scenario when you want to make edits but not affect the current output. I could probably add another option to the VideoFile module that would let you toggle how you want it to work, but it's yet another parameter for a module that wasn't meant to have a ton of parameters, due to what I mentioned earlier. I'll put it on my list though.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Sure thing Eric. I completely understand your point.

I use Resolume for mapping, working with Pixel tape, running all sorts of live cameras. But apart from Resolume I use an array of programs that are collaborating to create the effects or interactions im after... But I truly love the way your program delivers a delicate blend of modular programming and a easy of use. I have commented QLabs way of handling fades, and pointed them to look how Vezer masters that topic. Told the guys over at Isadora to have a look at Vuo's way of creating self-contained apps out of a composition. Asked the Keyboard Maestro programmers to have a look at how Osculator manages OSC and so on... (Some ideas are implemented and some are not)
So I hope that the reference to Resolume can be just a reference, in what I believe is a very refined video playing tool :)

With that said I want to mention an example of Osculators way of handling OSC. For me, a great example in how to manage the ON an OFF, with a simple drop down menu:
Osculator in a fine moment :)
Osculator in a fine moment :)
Skärmavbild 2019-09-27 kl. 21.07.55.png (97.5 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
There you can set the way incoming values will be handled, when trigging different things...
An if I may I will continue to refer to other software, more as a way to point out how other programs handles things.

Likewise I still think that we would have the best of two worlds when a paused video just gets the incoming Start time (kind of like it is now, that it does not trigger the start time immediately). And a Playing video will be more like a cue point on a DJ CD player. Its your call and I praise your work and program to all the people I meet and teach. So keep up the good work...

Best /D1gits
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Of course I understand and appreciate your feedback and you are always free to give it, as am I ;).

Specifically in the case of OSCulator, you demonstrate the exact point I was trying to make. Why not just use that program to translate your OSC preferences into the way Magic handles them? Magic will never be as good at OSCulator’s particular strength, and in general it would be a disservice for me to spend my time duplicating the functionality of existing programs that are tried and true.

Further, I’m sure you could set up OSCulator or some similar program to send multiple messages (set start time and start playing) in response to just one message from you.

It’s too difficult and limiting in this day and age to make a one-size-fits-all VJ app, so you have to accept the use of a variety of intercommunicating tools that are specialized in their own way.
gustavo.ten

Post by gustavo.ten »

Showing the reload button as a parameter would also help me a lot! I'm making a interactive piece that uses real time input and wanted to reload a text file at regular intervals.