Previous topicNext topic

input selection with button matrix

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
stolenfat

input selection with button matrix

Post by stolenfat »

Hi all,

This topic has been brought up before and others have offered solutions but im not quite certain there's a great way to solve this issue.

What I'd like to do is use the button matrix on my APC40 to change an inputselecter value from 0 to 9 (or what ever) with each single button press, representing a specific value from 0 to 9.

Others have suggested using a 'note number' with a scale value of 127' so each key press on a keyboard can trigger things, but that's not to handy when I have a button matrix. I've tried using the trigger and wrap modifiers, but that only really works with a single button/input.

I reckon that perhaps a new module would be quite handy- something akin to a input-by-value-selection that would allow us to to have a modified input selector with triggerable inputs. The module would need to be a tad dynamic, as in it changes it's limits according to the number of different nodes connected to it; each potential input node could get it's own midi selection option so one can assign each unique path from the selector's input towards it's output.

I'd find that handy: a button that fires movie 1 onto the background and another button that fires movie 2 onto the background instead., up to X amount of buttons.

Is there a method to accomplish this that's a little less intuitive which I haven't discovered yet or should I resubmit this onto the feature request subforum?

Love me some mmv
thanks everyone,
-cal
Magic
Site Admin

Re: input selection with button matrix

Post by Magic »

Others have suggested using a 'note number' with a scale value of 127' so each key press on a keyboard can trigger things, but that's not to handy when I have a button matrix.
Hmm. To me that's very handy. So I guess I'm not understanding. You want to map each button individually? It would take 10 times as long to set up.

The APC40 is very conveniently laid out for an InputSelector. The MIDI notes are sequential vertically and they are on separate channels horizontally, allowing you to control 8 InputSelectors independently.
apc40midimap.jpg
apc40midimap.jpg (495.36 KiB) Viewed 4145 times
Besides that, the APC40 is kind of an archaic device in that it won't let you remap the MIDI commands assigned to its buttons/faders/etc. Almost all newer devices let you do this.
I reckon that perhaps a new module would be quite handy- something akin to a input-by-value-selection that would allow us to to have a modified input selector with triggerable inputs. The module would need to be a tad dynamic, as in it changes it's limits according to the number of different nodes connected to it; each potential input node could get it's own midi selection option so one can assign each unique path from the selector's input towards it's output.
That's a good idea but currently modules can't have a dynamic number of parameters. So it will be something that we'll have to look at in the future.
ExplosiveOne1

Post by ExplosiveOne1 »

Is it possible to limit the scale of the input selector only work on a certain range of pads?

For example, I have the Novation Launchpad Mk2 and when I use scale the bottom row of pads goes from note 11-18.

I'd like to limit the input selector to that bottom row so I can use the other pads for other parameters. I tried using peak, threshold, gate, but that doesn't seem to solve my issue.

Anyone else come up with a solution for this?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure if I understand. Can you post some screenshots to help explain?
ExplosiveOne1

Post by ExplosiveOne1 »

Eric wrote:I'm not sure if I understand. Can you post some screenshots to help explain?
Launchpad
Launchpad
Launchpad.jpg (319.35 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
Here is a picture of my MIDI pad. I would like the bottom highlighted row (Notes 11 to 18 when using the note number and scale at 127) to be used for input selection and I would like the rest of the pads to not affect input selection and be used for other various parameters that I have already set.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Can you configure your pad so that the bottom row is on its own MIDI channel? That would be the easiest way.
ExplosiveOne1

Post by ExplosiveOne1 »

Eric wrote:Can you configure your pad so that the bottom row is on its own MIDI channel? That would be the easiest way.
Possibly, I'll have to check the manual. Thanks!
ExplosiveOne1

Post by ExplosiveOne1 »

Eric wrote:Can you configure your pad so that the bottom row is on its own MIDI channel? That would be the easiest way.

Based on this short description abnout the Mk2 here https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... nchpad-Pro

I believe I can only select a channel for the entire device. Is there a work around through Magic?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Well, you could always program each button individually. It would be a bit more tedious, but it would work for sure. As an example, you could have each button control the Power parameter of a module, or you could use a Transparency module, or a Color module, etc.

A more advanced way would be to create a Global for each button. Then you could use all the Globals in an Expression, with some simple math that controls what happens when a particular Global has a particular value.

A third way would be to get some other MIDI utility that would intercept the button presses before they get to Magic, and put them on a different channel. This one is the best, but it isn't free: https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator. I think there are some free ones out there.