Previous topicNext topic

AMD graphics card screen hiccups when duplicating scenes

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
truthc

AMD graphics card screen hiccups when duplicating scenes

Post by truthc »

Hey,

I'm using an AMD graphics card, RX560. I've noticed for over a year that the output hiccups when duplicating scenes, copy and paste, etc. It's not the video. It is hiccuping, blanking out for a moment before resuming.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Truth
Magic
Site Admin

Re: AMD graphics card screen hiccups when duplicating scenes

Post by Magic »

It can happen during some intensive operations and it’s something I’ve been meaning to improve. But it only affects the small Magic window — not the full screen output.
truthc

Post by truthc »

With the NVIDIA 1030 I have at home that is, perhaps, correct. But with the AMD graphics card at the club it does in fact affect the "full screen output". Perhaps we're having different experiences because we're using different graphics cards. ???

In my experience it goes momentarily blank with a variety of operations when using the AMD graphics card. Especially "Duplicate Scene" , which I use often when busking.

If you like I can create a video and post it. If you already have enough information then there's no need to.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Try the latest Beta and see if it works any better for you. I added a small improvement. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/getbeta
truthc

Post by truthc »

Thanks,

I just tried that tonight and now the background video and shaders appear to be retained. Unfortunately, the images still hiccup.

As shown in this video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDBzTXX2z8dNchXV8
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What exactly are you clicking on when that happens? Can you please post a screenshot of it.
truthc

Post by truthc »

Right click on scene tab, "duplicate scene". Although right click, "copy" or "paste" had caused the same sort of hiccup on the current release.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Screenshot of your project please.

Also, a few observations from watching your video:

1) Your project is running at 30fps. This says to me that your computer is too slow for your project, or your project is too complicated for your computer. It may be part of the reason you're getting such a hiccup. An RX 560 is certainly above average but I wouldn't call it high-end. You just have to be more careful what you throw at it. Every module in your scene lowers your frame rate. Your target rate should always be 60.

2) Never use the Magic window to make edits during a live performance. That's what the Preview window is for. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... viewWindow

3) You may want to try enabling Window > Magic Window Options > Load All Scenes Into Graphics Memory. This means that when you change scenes (or create a new scene, or duplicate one), it won't have to reload your images into VRAM. This can also help hiccuping quite a bit. If you have 4 GB VRAM it should be plenty for most projects.