Previous topicNext topic

Additional outputs

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Franco08

Additional outputs

Post by Franco08 »

Hi guys, I don't know if it's the right section, I've been using MMV for a few months now. To avoid creating many scenes for each object, can I add additional outputs for each object in a scene to link it to other scenes that only use certain objects at a time?
It often happens to me that in some scenes there are few modules that with a bridge output could be avoided.
Terry Payman

Re: Additional outputs

Post by Terry Payman »

This is the right section for questions about using Magic!

Any Scene can be used in other Scenes by just adding its (automatically created) Scene Module.
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... eneModules

So, to achieve your multiple outputs, just create a separate Scene for each of your component objects and use the corresponding SceneModule multiple times. I use a prefix of "-" in the names I give such Scenes, to distinguish them.
Franco08

Post by Franco08 »

In my opinion, to keep the project as clean as possible one could (I ask the developers) modify the two modules "SceneInput" and the classic "Output" creating the possibility to set independent channels ... so in a scene you could insert more modules without creating 20/30 scenes ....
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Once you want changes or additions to Magic, the appropriate forum is "Feature Requests", so your previous post and the rest of this thread should really be moved there :)

I think implementation of your request would require the addition of one new module type, but no mods to existing modules.

The Magic module, which I think is what you term the classic "Output", is unique in its behaviour in that it's added automatically, can't be deleted, can have only one instance per scene and has only one name. Very different from your required functionality. I think a new output module type is needed so you can have more than one instance per scene and different names for each instance.

The "SceneInput" module provides an un-named (non-specific) input to an effects/processing scene. I think the "Scene" module is the appropriate one to consider, but those are created automatically when each scene is created and I think the modules you need to access your outputs would also be created automatically to match each output. See below.

New module, "Out"
Suppose there's a new module type, for now I'm calling it "Out", which would provide an additional output from within a scene. It is somewhat equivalent to a Scene, and to be distinguished from an "Out module" which is equivalent to a Scene module.

- Each instance of "Out" is automatically assigned a unique incrementing name, in the same manner as new scenes are named. The name would be editable, any changes propagating throughout the project.

- When added to a scene, the "Out" would have one input pin and no output pins. Connecting to the input pin would create an additional input pin. The ordering of the inputs would determine the drawing order, as for other modules.

- Each "Out" name would appear in a list of "Out module"s, equivalent and adjacent to the existing list of Scene modules.

- An "Out module" could be allowed downstream in the same scene as its source "Out" to enable connection without a (possibly hard-to-follow) trailing wire across the scene.

If the above matches your requirements, you could use it as the basis for a Feature Request. :) viewforum.php?f=4
I'd +1!
Franco08

Post by Franco08 »

Exactly Terry Payman then I now open another topic in the request section and while I'm at it, I also make another request for a feature I'd like. :)