Previous topicNext topic

I'm putting on a show with Magic.. but I have a few question

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
djgingerbob

I'm putting on a show with Magic.. but I have a few question

Post by djgingerbob »

Hey guys!

I've been playing around with this software the past month and I am really liking it so far!
I usually DJ on my Macbook Pro 15' model and Pioneer DDJ-SR setup, but I am now wanting to incorporate these visuals that I have created into my sets!

I'm going to do a show for my friends housewarming/birthday party to kind of see how it all comes together in real life in a few weeks.

Since I have this software on my PC, I am thinking about running the entire show from my PC instead of the Macbook ( tried the demo version and it wasnt running well at all probably would need a new graphics card or just be replaced altogether )

I am going to be outputting to a projector that is mounted on the ceiling and the image will be behind me.

SO here are the concerns I am having..

1. I have tried running both my DJ software (serato) and Magic at the same time and it runs fine, but I cannot use my DJ controller as the midi for both software simultaneously. For example, I was attempting to use the sampler pad as the triggers for certain scenes that I had.

2. What is the best way to do this kind of all in one setup? should I get a midi pad and label the buttons on them? I've also considered a simple foot midi controller to at least go back and forth through scenes.

I am wanting to really show off timing and my collection of visuals, so please, any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Sadler

Re: I'm putting on a show with Magic.. but I have a few ques

Post by Sadler »

Get yourself a virtual midi router that will take input from your controller and forward it to multiple virtual ports. Each app can use any port that way and the controller isn't locked to a single app. I use LoopBe1 but there are others. I use Midi-OX to listen to the controller and forward to my apps (Magic and Resolume in my case) via the virtual midi port(s).

My basic method is use the midi controller to mix-up existing scenes live, according to my human understanding of the music . I only do visuals though and this may not work for you doing both - but if you can match midi control of audio in Serato with corresponding visuals that would take some weight off. Does that make sense?
djgingerbob

Post by djgingerbob »

Thank you for replying!

I am not that experienced with the virtual midi ports but I just downloaded them and am going to play with them.

As far as syncing the visuals to the music, what I have been doing is using my booth output on my controller to go to my audio input on PC, then use the regular controller outputs for the speakers, amps, etc.

If there is a way to use this controller for both functions this is going to be a game changer!
truthc

Post by truthc »

I prefer this one although I haven't made any comparisons lately.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

There is also a software application I use which was developed out of the lighting industry which is for managing multiple MIDI connections and protocols. Although there isn't a driver for Magic or Serato you could create your own using the generic driver.
see: http://showcockpit.com