Previous topicNext topic

Computer suggestions

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Friend of dogs

Computer suggestions

Post by Friend of dogs »

Anyone have my suggestions for computers or specific graphics cards. The computer I’m using (2013 iMac) has been alright but it starts to really tremble when I get a lot of stuff going in the program. Thanks
ryqui

Re: Computer suggestions

Post by ryqui »

Get the absolute best graphics card you can afford. I have an XPS 15 with a 1050ti Max-Q in it. I bought an egpu enclosure with a 1070ti in it and tripled my frame rate. I couldn't run many of my scenes at 1080p above 60fps without the 1070ti. You will save money and get better performance out of a desktop though. Try PC Parts Picker.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What he said :).

Frankly, a PC is a much better value than a Mac, especially a desktop. There is no disadvantage and you will get better performance for less money. Magic actually runs slightly better on Windows than it does on OS X / macOS.
Friend of dogs

Post by Friend of dogs »

hmm fair enough.

My plans are to use this software along side eurorack performance
Any thoughts on something compact to use in performance? I was almost thinking, one of those gaming laptops must have outstanding gpu on them, although maybe overpriced too..

Originally I was considering a macmini (ill admit I'm a mac guy)
ryqui

Post by ryqui »

Yeah a laptop with a 2060 or 2070 should run magic fast enough if you're using a single projector. Or you can go the eGPU route but that gets expensive fast and there's a small loss in performance with using Thunderbolt compared to PCI-E. The Mac Mini's have on-board GPU's that wouldn't give you the frame rates you want, and you'd have to bring a monitor anyway so you might as well get a small tower instead - except then you'd be on Windows. If you're used to Mac software then you might just have to plunk down the dough. The Macbook Pro equivalent to the XPS 15 is nearly double the cost.

There's a definite trade-off between portability and power, so I don't have any specific advice. I do love having a light and fast laptop which I can produce Magic scenes on from anywhere, and then plug in the eGPU for performances, but I bring the laptop back and forth between work and home. If I didn't have to do that, I would choose a desktop because the price/performance is significantly better, and the options for upgrading will mean it lasts much longer.