Previous topicNext topic

Recommended pedal/footswitch

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
gsbe

Recommended pedal/footswitch

Post by gsbe »

I want to purchase a footswitch to control Magic. I don't need anything really fancy...just one or two buttons will suffice for this application.

Do you have a foot controller (wireless or wired) that you've used successfully on stage with Magic? Here are 2 that I'm looking at:
  1. Wireless footswitch: https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-Bl ... B00BIPL9JW
  2. Wired footswitch: https://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI ... B002YL81RW
The practical length limit of a USB cable is around 16 feet but you can get active USB extension repeater cables inexpensively like this one which is 32 feet long plus the length of the regular cable (42 feet in total with a 10 foot cable attached at the end):
I'd like any recommendations you might have on these footswitches, especially any experience with which one works more consistently. I'm always a little wary of wireless devices so it would be nice to have a backup that could be wired directly to the computer if there ever was a connectivity issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide
ryqui

Re: Recommended pedal/footswitch

Post by ryqui »

I don't have any advice about foot pedals but I would like to add that I've used a 50-foot USB 2 active extension with a 1080p webcam without any issue.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

first sorry for my poor english

The umi3 is really good. I have 2 units since the first launch of the product years ago and never got an issue with it. I'm using it a lot on stage , it's build like a tank, no plastic . I really think it was build by musician for musician and not for marketing. I'm Changing my midi controllers according to my use for each project, but this one is always in my setup.

The unit is more than 3 switch as you have too an expression pedal input ( or any pedal like sustain but in this case it will work like a button). The expression pedal is really useful with magic for dry/wet setting for mixer input or fx as you can send continuous controller.

The editing software is really intuitive and stable. You can use switch with release or not, for exemple send a 0 value (note, CC or anything) when you release the switch, so it can work as a keyboard touch. You can too make sequence, for exemple each pressure on the same switch send a new note, according to your choosen sequence so it can be use as a "more than 3 switch" controller

This product is expensive if you compare it with others cheap products in the market , but in my opinion if you want no issue on stage and durability, that's really the best choice.
here is the direct link from logidy , with the software and manual http://logidy.com/?pid=5
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Hi
I own a Blueboard, connected to an Ipad for my midi guitar. It works very well and has 2 pedal inputs and 4 switches.
If you have a Mac, you can use it on your laptop, in BLE mode. You can send CC or notes, not both, and values are fixed by default, you can't change them :(

BUT: if you are running Magic on Win7 or Win10, no way. Blueboard doesn't work with Windows.