Previous topicNext topic

problems with including video files over 1GB?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
tonalchemy

problems with including video files over 1GB?

Post by tonalchemy »

i have some videos (.mkv) that i'm using with the VideoFile module, and it seems to choke when the file size of the video is around 1GB. it's fine with ~925MB or so, but the larger files just give me an infinite spinner during editing.

is there a size limit for video files using the VideoFile module? i assume the format can be converted or more highly compressed, but yuck. sub-recommendations 2008 MacBook Pro, also yuck. fans run full time.

thanks in advance ~ Daniel Robert
Magic
Site Admin

Re: problems with including video files over 1GB?

Post by Magic »

I haven't encountered any file size limitations, but I will do a bit of testing and report back if I find any problems.
tonalchemy

Post by tonalchemy »

thanks, Eric! i've tried switching the order of adding the music file and video file, saving and restarting (!) between each change and managed to get it saved, accepting the default of 30 seconds and reducing the bit rate to 32 and fps to 20 for rendering...crash. every time.

i should also mention that i'm using a 2008 MacBook Pro, horribly under spec, i'm afraid. now that i mention it, that could be the whole problem, eh? also, did i mention the file type of the videos is .m2ts? they're raw, according to my understanding.

i'm on the lookout for free video conversion utilities that aren't subscription services if you know of any...

thanks again

~ Daniel Robert
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, I hate to say it but some computers are just too old, unfortunately. On my computers (even my ~2011, ~2012 ones) I don't have any issues like what you mentioned.

The file type shouldn't have anything to do with it.
tonalchemy

Post by tonalchemy »

i bring great tidings of joy and probably an excess of ebullience!!! i hunted around for video converters and found Handbrake. ahhhhh.... gives me mp4 files at around 60% of the size and MMV is happy as a...a G in the key of C. i am quite delighted with Handbrake and particularly with MMV. great UI and clear functionality that just keeps working. i.e., if you don't try feeding it to an aging computer. :cry:

thanks again for your attention and assistance. as a friend of mine who worked in a music store used to say when he would sell a synth or something, "Give 'em Hell!"

~ Daniel Robert