Previous topicNext topic

[fixed] Problems with midi learn

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
DemBambiSeiMudder

[fixed] Problems with midi learn

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

Hey Eric,
I quite often have a problem with learning midi commands.
I thought this was only for global parameters, but it seems to be the same for normal ones as well.
Learning a midi command is no problem, but once I click on use magic shuts down completely.
Same when I use auto.

I created a new test project to verify that it is not a problem in my save file. No problem here.
Then no problem in my other project.
Then problems again, in both. It is quite hard for me to actually find the source of the problem.
I tried this with a BCF2000, with touchOSC and with OSCulator.
Sometimes problems, sometimes not.

This is quite annoying, especially when my controllers are not assignable before a live show :-)
Any idea on how to pinpoint this?

While writing this post I might have found it.
The problem might appear when the midi device is not added as a source.
Could it be that midi devices are necessary to be added as sources before learning from them?

Cheers
Oskar
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Problems with midi learn

Post by Magic »

Learning a midi command is no problem, but once I click on use magic shuts down completely
Do you mean that Magic crashes?
Could it be that midi devices are necessary to be added as sources before learning from them?
No, that's not necessary.

Overall, things seem to be working fine for me, and I haven't had any problem reports from other users. I will try to do some more testing though...
DemBambiSeiMudder

Yes, it crashes and macOS tells me that it crashed and asks if I want to restart.
I'm having these issues for quite a long time now. I think 3 updates passed since I first experienced this. So it is not related to any recent changes.
Would a Screencast or a Mac crash report help you?
Cheers
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Would a Screencast or a Mac crash report help you?
Unfortunately no, but I do have some other things I can try. I'll contact you shortly.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Hey Eric,

I'll comment here so in case someone else experiences this problem they might find my comments useful :-)

I just tried really hard again to crash magic and of course it does not work at all. I tried all combinations, but it's working fine.

I tried to remember the routine when it failed. I guess it is something like this:
1. Work on magic project to prepare scenes, no midi device connected, save file.
2. Live show, connect midi device, learn parameters, play with modifiers, improve some scenes, save file.
3. At home, work on magic, improve scenes and prepare some more, no midi device connected, save file.
4 Live show, connect midi device, not working, try to learn midi param, magic crashes multiple times until it eventually works.

I think the problem might be somewhere between steps 3 and 4.
At step 3 I might have thought "Huh, a source called 'IAC-Driver Bus 1' never seen that before and I don't need it, so delete it.
Probably that happened because I didn't realize, that midi devices are added as sources. I learned that while trying to figure out my bug :-)
So maybe the bug is when adding the midi device as a new source when the save file actually knew the midi device in a previous source?

As I said I can't reproduce the bug anymore. Maybe I learned how to prevent or work around it now, but I'll still try to pinpoint it and let you know once I find anything. But I also just tried with OSCulator which is new in my setup. Before using it the bug always appeared with TouchOSC directly, so I'll try that later.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Ok, with TouchOSC I can reproduce it in 100% of my trials.
When TouchOSC is not added as source magic crashes when a midi command should be used from it (manually or in auto mode).
Once I select TouchOSC as source or add a new source with it everything works fine.
So I'll not have problems in the future anymore, because I can prevent it, but I guess it's still a good idea to fix this :-)

Crash Report is on it's way.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. TouchOSC works fine for me though. Are you using it with OSC or with the MIDI bridge?
DemBambiSeiMudder

I use midi bridge.
I have OSC disabled completely.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. I can't seem to get it to crash with the MIDI bridge on my machine, but I will keep testing.

Also just FYI, Magic supports OSC directly, so there is no reason to use the MIDI bridge with TouchOSC. The MIDI bridge adds an extra layer of processing. And, MIDI is much less precise than OSC. Have you tried OSC only? I wonder if you would get the same problem.
DemBambiSeiMudder

I haven't. I am quite familiar with midi, so it was a choice of laziness I guess :-)
But if you say it's better, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for pointing it out.

If I find anything else I'll keep you updated :-)
DemBambiSeiMudder

Since it was hard to reproduce I can't prove the absence of the bug. But I was not able to reproduce it in the current beta.
Anyway, it already helped to add the midi device before learning commands from it.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: [fixed] Problems with midi learn

Post by Magic »

Yes, this is fixed in the Beta. You don't need to add the device first.