Previous topicNext topic

Need help: Having issue with midi controller

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Naesthetics

Need help: Having issue with midi controller

Post by Naesthetics »

Hey all,

I'm having an issue I'm hoping someone can help with. I'm using a Novation Launch Control as my midi controller.

For some reason, while I'm recording automation, it records for about a minute and then the controller goes inactive. I tried doing this a few times and the timing fluctuates so it seems to be a random-ish conflict occurrence. So the song continues to play but the controller is rendered useless.

When I stop the recording, cancel the file save, and stop the music...I then do a source feature midi learn only to find the midi channel is switched to one of the other midi channels with no determination for why it selects the one it does. With the new midi channel selected, I have to update the other modules to the new input source. What's happening?

What MIDI controller has worked the best for you guys? I'm ready to upgrade. Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Need help: Having issue with midi controller

Post by Magic »

Personally, I have the Numark Orbit and I think it's really great. A bunch of buttons, a nice dial, and 2 accelerometers (which are really fun to use with Magic). https://www.numark.com/product/orbit. I'm not sure if they still sell it tho.

I would highly recommend getting something with accelerometers.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Hi,
I am using two Launch Control XL in my setup. Since there is no unique identification which one is which I can connect only one of them directly to USB, the other one has to go through another device so it is recognized by the system as a different piece of MIDI. In my case it connects to a RME Fireface which I need anyway for audio. This setup works nearly perfect. But now and then one of the devices is lost and I have to replug it and restart Magic. This is very rare and never smashed a performance. So I would rate it stable.

In Your case it is a permanent error and points to some system problem.
So my first guess would be that USB could cause some problem. Do YOu have a lot of gear connected to USB? If You have a chance to connect Launch Control through another piece of MIDI gear give it a try.

Good luck
Reinhard
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

BTW a question to Eric:
If it happens that Magic looses contact to a MIDI-device: Could You make something like a MIDI rescan without the need to close Magic? Actually when this happens I have to replug the MIDI-device and the restart Magic which is not a choice while performing. If Magic could reload all MIDI-devices on the run it would be very relaxing. Of course this will most probably freeze the video output for some seconds. But that's way better than a restart.
Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes I can certainly see if that's possible.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

Reigel wrote:BTW a question to Eric:
If it happens that Magic looses contact to a MIDI-device: Could You make something like a MIDI rescan without the need to close Magic? Actually when this happens I have to replug the MIDI-device and the restart Magic which is not a choice while performing. If Magic could reload all MIDI-devices on the run it would be very relaxing. Of course this will most probably freeze the video output for some seconds. But that's way better than a restart.
Best
Reinhard

I totally +1 this idea.
Actually, I remember playing with TouchOSC and Magic for the first time. It took me quite a while to realize that all midi software has to be started before magic.
I mainly use midi software (TouchOSC, Vezér, OSCulator) and I always fail to start all midi software first and the magic. :-)
Not that it's a bug, but it would improve user experience by a lot.