Previous topicNext topic

Need help with MIDI recording, playback wrong?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Naesthetics

Need help with MIDI recording, playback wrong?

Post by Naesthetics »

I have an LPD8 midi controller. I imported a song to record midi automation for a video and when I get to the export part, the video should begin with a complete black screen but it doesn't. Instead, it seems to just apply some random value (rather than the automation knobs I had programmed to start at either min or max value). Some things should be transparent and then come in when the midi is programmed to rather than begin with the image.

if helpful, I used 6 of the 8 knobs on the controller for automation. Is this too much? I wouldn't think so.

Here's what I understand is the process: After I record the midi automation, I save the file in a folder. I know the program automatically imports the midi file back into the program. I then have to change the active input on the modules I used for automation from the controller to the midi file input. At this point, I expect the screen to mimic what I saw when I recorded the automation.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

-S
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Need help with MIDI recording, playback wrong?

Post by Magic »

I think you are doing it correctly, but the problem with MIDI is that it only sends out a command when your values change. So, if you set your knobs to the minimum/maximum before you start recording, then those changes won't be recorded. Know what I mean?
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Eric wrote:I think you are doing it correctly, but the problem with MIDI is that it only sends out a command when your values change. So, if you set your knobs to the minimum/maximum before you start recording, then those changes won't be recorded. Know what I mean?
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

Will you ever put a Record Midi button that will automatically play the audio? As of now, I have to press the record midi and then quickly press the play button to get the best timing. Any advice on a workaround?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I can look into providing a synced play option for the audio, but even if it were available, you'd probably still want to edit the MIDI file to "clean it up".

Unfortunately MIDI editing would be very complicated for us to implement in Magic, and it's outside the scope of what we want Magic to do. There are so many good DAWs available with great MIDI-editing functionality (such as Ableton) that we decided not to reinvent the wheel.

So for now I'd recommend editing your MIDI file in a DAW to make sure it starts when you want it to start, etc.