Previous topicNext topic

Keeping file sizes down

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
dani72

Keeping file sizes down

Post by dani72 »

I created a video which was 6:44 in length. I used a background video I created in Nero Video which was 321 MB. When I export the video with the visuals in Magic using the same resolution (720p) and Frame Rate (60fps) it ends up over 1 GB in size. I tried dropping the Mbits/sec to 70 but the file still ends up over 1 GB.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the size of my exported videos without lowering the quality too much?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Keeping file sizes down

Post by Magic »

Well, if you look at the math, there are 8 bits in a byte. So your background video is 8 * 321 = 2568 megabits. Divide that by 404 seconds (6:44) and you get 6.35 megabits/sec. So that's what you should set for your exported video if you want it to be 321 MB.

The thing is, Magic creates videos that have more detail and movement than the average video. This usually means a higher bitrate is necessary. Bitrates less than 20 mbits/sec don't look very good, but of course it all depends on the content in your video.

My question for you is, why does the file size matter? In this day and age, storage is not much of an issue.
dani72

Re: Keeping file sizes down

Post by dani72 »

Eric wrote:Well, if you look at the math, there are 8 bits in a byte. So your background video is 8 * 321 = 2568 megabits. Divide that by 404 seconds (6:44) and you get 6.35 megabits/sec. So that's what you should set for your exported video if you want it to be 321 MB.

The thing is, Magic creates videos that have more detail and movement than the average video. This usually means a higher bitrate is necessary. Bitrates less than 20 mbits/sec don't look very good, but of course it all depends on the content in your video.

My question for you is, why does the file size matter? In this day and age, storage is not much of an issue.
Thanks for your response. I guess I just wasn't keen on uploading so many videos over 1 GB to YouTube but I guess there's no harm in it. I'll try 20-30 mb/sec and see how that looks.

I'm beginning to wish I'd gotten a larger hard drive in my new PC :)