Previous topicNext topic

Compatible Capture Cards?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
StrangeHandle

Compatible Capture Cards?

Post by StrangeHandle »

I've done some digging through the forum and am having a hard time finding a list of Magic-compatible capture cards.

I've recently built a PC for using Magic and I'm looking into picking up a PC compatible capture card. Here's a list of what I've found + what's worked for me thus far on Mac -

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (thunderbolt)
I've been using the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (thunderbolt version) with my Macbook successfully. It's a pain to set up, but once up and running through Black Syphon it's completely stable and virtually lag-free. Limited to 1080i, I believe.

Magewell USB HDMI capture dongle
Verified by Eric himself as performing very well. Seems to be the most expensive, yet painless option.

Elgato Game Capture HD60 S
User in link below claims they are unable to get the captured feed out of proprietary software and into Magic. I've read of other users using a window-capture workaround, but this sounds like it would yield a much lower-res video feed inside Magic to me (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

LinkStable HD Game Capture Card
User in link below claims this card works. Amazon reviews all state that card performance is subpar in FPS and resolution.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1220&p=6800&hilit=elgato#p6800

Does anyone have any successful experiences with any other capture cards being recognized by VideoCaptureDS or successfully captured / fed into Magic via Spout? Additionally, has anyone had any success with internal PCIe capture cards?

P.S. - I've used Magic for 3ish years in addition to VDMX, Resolume, Max, TouchDesigner, etc. For me personally, Magic is by far the most fun of all of them for content creation and I'd like to say thank you to everyone who contributes to the software and forum community. Thanks for all you do! <3
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Compatible Capture Cards?

Post by Magic »

Thanks for your post and for your kind words.

The information I can add is that I own a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), and it works perfectly with the VideoCaptureDS module when running Windows 7 via BootCamp on my MacBook (which has a Thunderbolt port). I assume that it would work fine with any PC that has a Thunderbolt port.

In fact I think most all Blackmagic devices (including USB 3.0) will work with the VideoCaptureDS module, presuming that they work with your system in the first place -- I know that their hardware requirements are very specific (especially for USB 3.0 which only works with certain chipsets, etc.).

I have an older Elgato, and it definitely does *not* work as a general-purpose capture card. It only works with its proprietary software.

Also, I just want to let you know that you shouldn't have to use BlackSyphon on Mac -- the VideoCaptureQT module works with my Shuttle. Eliminating BlackSyphon as an intermediary utility will probably get you better performance.