Previous topicNext topic

Multichannel Audio Devices

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
LonConDon

Multichannel Audio Devices

Post by LonConDon »

Hey guys,

I have two questions for multichannel devices. One for hardware and one for software.

Magic can only select one audio device with channels being L and R. If I wanted to hookup multiple microphones or instruments, what kind of hardware would I need to get them to show as channels in the single audio device.

Also is there an virtual audio mixer app that can act as a single device for Magic and have multiple channels for sources? Like if I wanted Magic to react to both stereo mix and my microphone as separate channels.

I got voicemeter, but it's only mixing them. Not providing separate channels. Would Voicemeter Banana do it?

Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Multichannel Audio Devices

Post by Magic »

Magic can only select one audio device with channels being L and R.
That's not accurate :). It just depends on what device you have. If you look in the User's Guide (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... udioDevice), you can see an example of a device that has 12 channels ("M-Audio Delta ASIO"). On Windows, you get access to multiple channels by selecting the ASIO driver of an ASIO-compatible device.
Also is there an virtual audio mixer app that can act as a single device for Magic and have multiple channels for sources? Like if I wanted Magic to react to both stereo mix and my microphone as separate channels.
I'm not an expert in virtual mixers, but the device I described above (M-Audio Delta) has separate built-in inputs for the stereo mix ("Monitor L" and "Monitor R"). Many ASIO devices have this. It's something to keep in mind if you do want to buy a new audio device. Then you don't have to rely on a third-party virtual mixer.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

voicemeeter banana can do this.
for exemple I made a concert last week with 4 live inputs for an orchestra , and some additionnal output for virtual instruments playing by dancers with accelerometers. Magic worked with 10 different inputs during this.

You need to use the voicemeeter AUX asio driver for magic inputs, and the voicemeeter insert asio driver for your DAW.
the daw send the output to the voicemeeter app, this one send the signal to magic with juste one buffer of latency.
Then you can assign each output to magic, you mic will pass thru the DAW when you want ( you can control this directly in your audio software).

It will need some works ( for exemple assign the sends in voicemeeter in composite mode etc) so it does not work "out the box" but it works perfectly. I don't have a lot of time actually but will try to do a sort of tutorial about this as soon as possible.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Cool thanks. Also, there is one app I forgot to mention: ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.org/). It's not a mixer but it does let you group separate input devices together into one aggregate device. Like this:
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (20.65 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
The "Stereo input" channels are from Stereo Mix, and the "Mic input" channels are from the Microphone Array. So maybe this is exactly what you're looking for.