Previous topicNext topic

demo version works fine, paid version does not

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
dwheitner

demo version works fine, paid version does not

Post by dwheitner »

While the demo version of Magic Studio 2.12 has been working great on my computer, the paid version of Magic Studio 2.12 I just purchased today does not. This is quite odd.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 10.0.15063 Build 15063, on a Dell I7 with 16 GB RAM. I'm using the file Magic_Setup_Windows_64.exe, which shows v2.12 64-bit in the "about" window.

In the demo version, I can load a demo project or create a simple project, add an mp3 file as an input source, select it in the input sources list, make sure it's selected in the relevant modules, hit play in the input sources window, and the scene responds to the music. I spent at least an hour tinkering with it over a few days before purchasing it (today), and had fun with it. Great product!

However, in the paid version, I take the exact same steps with the same file, and the file play progress bar in the scene window does not advance at all. The magic window shows no activity in response to the music. The play and pause buttons change shade, and that's about it.

I've tried both uninstalling/reinstalling the paid version and rebooting the machine, both with and without the demo version also being installed, and that hasn't helped. Even though the demo version still works fine.

I also tried the "load audio files into memory" option. That didn't work either.

Many thanks for your assistance! I'm hoping to be able to use the paid product soon, so I can actually save some projects.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: demo version works fine, paid version does not

Post by Magic »

Hmm, sorry about that. It's strange because there is literally no difference in the audio functionality between the demo and the full version. Based on your other post, and particularly the fact that your audio device is ASIO, my guess is that your input is somehow conflicting with your output. ASIO can be very finicky! So, for the next release, I'm going to add a new option that lets you disable your audio input device completely. This will make it 100% sure that your output device will work properly.
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

Thanks for your response. If I'm understanding correctly, that option might also prevent having to switch back and forth between different audio devices when running different applications (i.e., onboard audio for Magic and my ASIO device for my digital audio workstation), which would also be helpful. In the meantime, I'm including here a link to the thread describing an identical issue and best solution for now (basically just switching to the onboard audio). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1489&e=0 Thanks again for an innovative and inspiring product!
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

The option to close the audio input device, now included in the v 2.13 beta, seems to eliminate the need for me to switch back and forth between audio drivers when using my DAW vs Magic. Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Great! I added that feature to handle situations like yours.