Previous topicNext topic

midi strangeness with playlist forward/back

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
steffey

midi strangeness with playlist forward/back

Post by steffey »

I can trigger playlist forward and backwards just fine via midi and a CmdTouch 64.
When I use a Korg nanoKontrol2, it triggers on both the press, and release- forwarding and or reversing 2 scenes.
First midi data is the CMD, the second 2 lines are the Korg.

459731 3 -- 144 108 127 1 C 8 Note On
459841 3 -- 144 108 0 1 C 8 Note Off
462632 1 -- 176 59 127 1 --- Control Change
462737 1 -- 176 59 0 1 --- Control Change

The korgs buttons work as intended on all other functions as far as I have found, it seems to only happen with playlist.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: midi strangeness with playlist forward/back

Post by Magic »

Interesting. The reason the CmdTouch works properly is that it's using a Note On/Off, whereas the Korg is using a Control Change.

Magic will ignore a Note Off, because it's a separate command from a Note On, as you can see. But a Control Change doesn't have the concept of "On/Off", so you're basically getting two commands of Control Change, which is why it's doing two scenes at a time.

I'm not really sure what's the proper thing to do here. If I make Magic ignore a Control Change with a value of 0, it will work properly on your system, but it might stop working properly on someone else's system.

Is there any way you can reprogram your Korg so that it uses Note On/Off instead of Control Change?
steffey

Post by steffey »

I can switch the modes on the Korg. I haven't tried it yet since everything else was working fine. It was the fact that it works properly as a momentary and or a toggle everywhere else that boggled me.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Where does it seem to work properly? I'll take a look and compare.
steffey

Post by steffey »

I don't see the skipping issue anywhere else. Every other function I can pin midi to via the Korg seems to respond correctly to the command messages. Buttons function properly as momentary and or toggles depending on setting.