Previous topicNext topic

I'm missing the modules' old Edit options!

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Terry Payman

I'm missing the modules' old Edit options!

Post by Terry Payman »

I hardly use the keyboard at all when I'm "in the zone" developing a scene. Just the mouse, keeping my eyes on the screen.

I really miss being able to Edit Copy a module with just a couple of clicks. Now it takes me 50% longer, and noticeably impedes my flow!

I know I could get mice with extra buttons, and assign those to edit functions, but I'd prefer an option to revert to the previous efficient and intuitive menu.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: I'm missing the modules' old Edit options!

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is this in the 2.12 Beta? And do you mean "old" options from 2.11? There aren't any missing options as far as I'm aware.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Yes, 2.12 Beta, compared with v2.11. Sorry I didn't make it clear. :oops:

It's a module's top-level right-click menu options (Cut/Copy/Remove) that I'm missing.

Also, neat for the top-level menu would be adding Replace With Paste, to save having to scroll right to the end of the Replace With > list
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

..or moving the "Paste" option to the top of the "Replace With >" list.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Terry Payman wrote: moved the module menu's Edit commands into a submenu Cleaner. I prefer it, especially with the reminder of the Restore Parameters to Default shortcut.
:)

I probably won't make any further changes to the menus for a while. The main purpose of reorganizing them was to emphasize keyboard shortcuts (much faster than using the mouse). It's considered standard editing behavior to have your left hand on the keyboard, which is why cut/copy/paste are all on the left side.

If you look at the menu you will see there is also a keyboard shortcut for Paste Replace.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

:)
I wasn't "in the zone" when I posted that previous comment ; superficially the changes seemed preferable and only later did I realise the negative impact on my workflow :(

I do have my left hand on the keyboard - it rests on the Ctrl & Shift keys which I use for fine parameter adjustments. I'm not a touch typist so I personally I find it more efficient and less disruptive to keep my eyes on the screen and use the menus.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Mouse shortcuts seem to be the way for me under Windows 10. I already have a Logictech B110 mouse, where the wheel button can be used to send three additional codes.

Using X-Mouse I have mapped the mouse wheel as follows for an initial trial (X-Mouse codes in green)

Middle Button -> Select , Copy {LMB}{WAITMS:100}{CTRL}C
Tilt Wheel Left -> Paste {CTRL}V
Tilt Wheel Right -> Select, Replace With Paste {LMB}{WAITMS:100}{CTRL}{SHIFT}V

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmo ... ontrol.htm (Windows only)