Previous topicNext topic

Really slow FPS with...no reason?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Sintek

Really slow FPS with...no reason?

Post by Sintek »

For no reason I'm not supposed that I have a super-iper-powerful device for constant bitrate video creation but because something changed in a project that's ever remain the same by the first time I've created...and it was reproduced excellently at 200fps!!! Something happened and my frame rate falls drastically (about 30-45fps) and obviously lags appeared. Now I'm describing my setup and my project details.

Laptotp: Macbook retina Late 2013, Intel Core i5, 2,4GHz, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD, Graphic card Intel iris 1536Mb
Second monitor where I run the editor
USB Sound card M-Audio track eight with 512 samples of buffer size
Magic Music project: (see attached)

The image file is a 5mb .png.

As you can see the project is RIDICULOUSLY small. However, it seems to be heavy as hell for my laptop.

I tried to: Synchronize modules, change start time of the audio track as suggested in some posts, deactivate module text speed, change throttling, change graphic resolution as size of the window, cleaned graphic memory, loaded all scenes to graphic memory.
N O T H I N G ! ! !
It starts at 50-60fps and after something like 15 seconds faaaaaaaals down to 20-25.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be crazy?
Attachments
Schermata 2018-03-20 alle 20.49.55 (2).png
Schermata 2018-03-20 alle 20.49.55 (2).png (242.19 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
reGeneraTed

Re: Really slow FPS with...no reason?

Post by reGeneraTed »

Hey Sintek,

Sorry that your project is slowing down. That is incredibly annoying. I'm currently using a Late 2013 as well. So I feel the pain!

I'd try turning off some of your modules and see which one might be causing the problem. From my experience, Ghosting and GLSLShader might be the culprit(s).

However, if that doesn't work, maybe try rebooting your computer or remaking the project.

Best of luck!
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Hey, thank you!! Really appreciate your investigation!! Now I feel much more better that I'm not the only one (sadly true). I really hope that a guru goes here and find an OMG solution for me and you too, so. If not I'll try to make the same effects with some default edevices. It hurts but...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There's always a reason for slow FPS. Usually it's because certain effects are too much for a computer to handle. The only thing you can do is remove/disable/change those effects, or get a faster computer :)
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

You probably don't want to hear this, but your system specs are pushing it a bit for realtime graphics stuff. That Intel Iris is fairly basic and i5s come in a few shapes, some of which are also not really up to the task.

I'd try going through a few GLSL shaders, just on their own and see what framerates you get.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Ouch. Really is that bad?? (Sorry but I'm from audio face and about video I'm pretty much more than a newbie). Anyway I've just tried to remove the modules you guys told me and now it's constantly at 60fps (not more and not less). But it's still undomable with the parallel use of OBS and Soundflower for recording both video and audio (after a while it drops again). Really don't think about using midi controllers for live performance. It should be so muh worst for sure. Is really that bad my hardware fo video purposes or am I wrong (or forget) something???
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

Yeah, it would appear that your system just can't keep up with more than one thing going on. You really need a proper dedicated GPU like an Nvidia GTX, no less than a 600 series, but ideally better, especially as your scenes get more complex and you need to run other software simultaneously. Also, like I say, i5s can be quite weak at the low end of the range.

I had to buy a new laptop for Magic, because I thought my old 2012 one with a core i7 and old Nvidia Quadro would be powerful enough and it turned out not to be, especially at higher resolutions like 1080p.

You can run audio on any old machine, but graphics is a whole different situation, power wise.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Bad news :cry: Thanks for your reply guys
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Return to this thread. Could I possibily use an external dedicated graphic card for use Magic? If yes, which are the best and why? Thanks!!!
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Sintek wrote:.. use an external dedicated graphic card...?
I believe the short answer is "Yes, you can use an external GPU".
I have no direct experience, and can't make recommendations, but the keyword to search for is "eGPU".

On this forum, among other posts, I found viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1211&hilit=egpu
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Awesome!! Thanks for this reply!!! :D
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Glad to be of some help. Hopefully you will get some specific recommendations here.