Previous topicNext topic

Assign a MIDI button to each input on Input Selector

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sameloop

Assign a MIDI button to each input on Input Selector

Post by sameloop »

Hi.

The picture shows a simple demo scene, in which I'd like to use the input selector to layer the scene. I can use a slider on my MIDI controller to go up and down inputs, but I'd really like a way of assigning each one to an individual button (I've got a little Korg nanoKontrol 2) and/or assigning two buttons for up and down through the inputs.

Doesn't look like it's possible, but there's a high chance I'm missing something :)

Thanks for any pointers.
Attachments
MMV IS example.png
MMV IS example.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
steffey

Re: Assign a MIDI button to each input on Input Selector

Post by steffey »

I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same but it has been on the back burner. I just found you may use bypass/toggle on Offsets. After choosing learn bypass, the menu will show Toggle. You have to mind what is toggled however, as multi toggles are possible.
(there is likely a better way) I've got a CMD TOUCH64 8x8 pad. I want sliders. Are you digging that Korg? I've been pondering grabbing one for a little while.
asddsad-3.jpg
asddsad-3.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

Well, that's a useful tip anyway, but yeah, it's not quite what we're after. Korg NK is ok, by the way. Cheap and cheerful, with plenty of encoders. Great for Magic, really. Not rugged, though. Definitely a bit toy, but it works.

Anyway, my actual scenario is that I'm going to be doing about six hours of VJ ing, the last couple of which will be very dynamic in terms of my involvement. I want to be able to have a scenario as mentioned, so that I can hit buttons on the beat to add layers to a visual and obviously remove them in the same way.

The way I've been doing it is with a playlist of scenes, where I have either up/down assigned to two buttons or individual buttons for scenes. The issue with that is that scenes don't load instantly that way, unless they're loaded into graphics memory. I might want to do changes on the quarter or even eighth beats and it's too slow and inefficient for that. Could cause it to crash too, with all that resource-intensive action.

The thing is, for my 'set', I'm going to need a lot of scenes, each with three duplicates that act as layers in that scenario. That might be too many scenes to load them all into graphics memory. Also, I want to use the same four buttons for each scene. If I use the playlist method, I need a button for each playlist entry, which is unmanageable (could be 24 buttons or more). Up and down is no good because I want to be able to jump instantly back to 1 from 4 or whatever.

I want to select a scene (via the playlist) but then have the four buttons controlling four 'states' within that scene, basically, and when I switch to a new scene, the same four buttons do the same/similar thing in that new scene and so on.

Hope there's a guru out there with an answer.. :)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think this might be what you're looking for? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=993&p=4474#p4454
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

Eric wrote:I think this might be what you're looking for? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=993&p=4474#p4454
That might be exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks very much. Don't know why I didn't think of that, actually. It works out well with my nanoKontrol too, because it's quite easy to assign a MIDI controller number to any button with the PC software. I did that and didn't even need to add any modifiers to make it work.

Great stuff, thanks again.