Previous topicNext topic

Record and Edit effects during session

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Sintek

Record and Edit effects during session

Post by Sintek »

Hello there admins and users!!

I'm new here and hope to learn everything about this A M A Z I N G platform. DAMN, if it's GREAT!!! Anyway, here's my first question.

Now, as a performer owner, the first thing I need is to record the "set" while playing MIDI and Audio. I didn't find anything to do that, or I'm wrong?

Furthermore, both while I create video and playing live, if there's a way to add/remove (or raise/fall) effects only in certain moments or periods of a session?

Thanks for your answer guys and,
KEEP ROCKING!!!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Record and Edit effects during session

Post by Magic »

Now, as a performer owner, the first thing I need is to record the "set" while playing MIDI and Audio. I didn't find anything to do that, or I'm wrong?
Do you mean that you want to record video during a live performance?
Furthermore, both while I create video and playing live, if there's a way to add/remove (or raise/fall) effects only in certain moments or periods of a session?
Normally you would use the mouse/keyboard or a MIDI controller. Or am I not understanding?
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Hi and thanks for your answer!!! For thw first one, yes I mean that. For the second part It's something as you said but what I mean (and my really bad English doesn't help me) if there's a sort of way to automate (like with audio daws) the parameters and write them in certain moments of an audio source input so I can easily export the video with them.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, for the first one you would have to use an external program. We don't real-time video capture in Magic (yet) because there are a lot of really good existing tools, and most of them are free. For example, Windows 10 has a very nice built-in recording utility: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how- ... windows-10, and Mac has the QuickTime Player app. Just be aware that with real-time capture, you always run the risk of dropping frames.

For the second one, there are many different ways to do it. Maybe the easiest is to record your automation to MIDI. Search for the "Recording MIDI Input" section in the User's Guide.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Hey thanks for those advices!! I've just ended up to read the manual!! Which are the other ways to "record automation"? I didn't find them on it. Thanks again!!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There isn't another way to record input, but I highly recommend you investigate modifiers (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... oModifiers), because they can let you get very complex movement.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

I know modifiers and DAMN!!! Those are awesome. BTW I'll resign to edit parameters in real time with MIDI on my APC40 while recording video with OBS and desktop audio with Soundflower (MAC su**s with audio API, now I got it). I haven't founded a better solution than that. Isn't it?
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Back on this thread I opened, I got some noise while audio playback via...iTunes for example. It happens only after some time the music play and while I edit scenes. I use the magic Window on the Mac display and it runs at 60fps at 1280x720p and in the other external monitor the Magic editor. The strange thing is that the Magic Window isn't affected by any type of frame drop, while audio makes some continuously "crispy" noise....

I have a new MacBook Pro 15 2018 and it mounts an Intel UHD Graphics 630 and a Radeon Pro 560X. Any advice?

ps: is there a way to put the Magic Window in another screen without use the fulls screen function?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not sure. Why are you playing back audio in iTunes? Why not just load the audio directly into Magic?
is there a way to put the Magic Window in another screen without use the fulls screen function?
Drag it there?
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

It's because it was a test to see if I can manage visuals during a live performance, so without any file to upload in there. I used iTunes for simplicity: it could be Ableton Live with inputs from a live set, or Audacity or others. For the magic window, I tried to drag it on the other screen but when I make changes on the editor (adding modules or click everywhere) it returns back over the editor.
Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you hear crackling audio it can be due to a number of things -- how you are getting the audio from one app to another, what your CPU load is, etc.

For the Magic window, see https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... ndowLayout: "By default, the Input Sources, Magic, Preview, and Playlist Windows float above the Editor Window. This setting can be changed by toggling Window > Window Layout > [Window Name] Above Editor for any of the desired windows."
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Great, thanks,, the window is now where I place it!! I was thinking "above" only means "above when it's opened" instead of "above every time, whenever you put it". Thank you!!!
For the audio I use a multioutput peripheral with SoundFlower. My CPU is an Intel i7 2.6Ghz.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I've gotten a lot of crackling with SoundFlower too. Maybe try raising the buffer size?

There is also a new replacement for SoundFlower called Loopback: https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Thank you!! I'll try both methods and will let you know. Have a nice day!!!
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:I've gotten a lot of crackling with SoundFlower too. Maybe try raising the buffer size?

There is also a new replacement for SoundFlower called Loopback: https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/
Mh... Loopback isn't free...
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

IMG_20200204_211801.jpg
IMG_20200204_211801.jpg (775.74 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
Eric wrote:I've gotten a lot of crackling with SoundFlower too. Maybe try raising the buffer size?

Anyway I tried also with a track uploaded into Magic but still crackles appears after something live 15 minutes of work. See the pictures of the project. increasing (or even decreasing) the buffer size of the audio card in Magic freeze everything...The audio doesn't start at all and/or Magic freeze out...
Attachments
IMG_20200204_211823.jpg
IMG_20200204_211823.jpg (919.7 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
IMG_20200204_211808.jpg
IMG_20200204_211808.jpg (598.78 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Up
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I really don't know unfortunately. Crackling audio is not usually a problem with Magic. The only thing I can tell you is that if you are really pushing Magic to its limits, it will use a lot of CPU, and other things will start to go slowly, including your audio system.

The first thing I would try is using the built-in audio on your computer (instead of an external audio device) and see if it makes a difference.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Ouch, I'll try. And for the freeze when change the buffer size? There's any solution?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

As I said, see if it happens with your built-in audio input.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Hi Eric, here's a short screen record of my simple visual. I also tried to close and reopen magic, close magic, change audio settings with my built in audio speakers, then reopen magic, reload and change tracks, tried with uncompressed audio files, etc ecc... It seems to work "only when it wants"...

LINK: https://youtu.be/x92PHFpLb68
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That video is private, I can't watch it.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:That video is private, I can't watch it.
Sorry, try now please: https://youtu.be/x92PHFpLb68
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Disconnect all external sound devices from your system. Make sure your built in input and output are the default sound devices in System Preferences. Then start Magic. Do not change your output device while Magic is running.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:Disconnect all external sound devices from your system. Make sure your built in input and output are the default sound devices in System Preferences. Then start Magic. Do not change your output device while Magic is running.
Ok Eric, it works: after I disconnect all my peripherals I then reopen Magic using my build in audio output, then closed magic, plugged the external sound card, set it as my default device then opened Magic...and it restart to work. Anyway changing buffer size repeat this really annoying "no sound" problem...

Anyway, I found other few bugs, like the preview window stop working when activate the magic window: white/blank screen appears on the preview window (as the magic window visualize the effects).

Another one is that if I close and reopen Magic the preview is still blank/white: I had to reopen Magic like 3/4 times to make the preview window works but then....AUDIO STOPPED WORKS... WHAT??? AGAIN?? Without change anything??

I'm on High Sierra using the 2.22 version. I also have the "automatic change graphic card" enabled on my energy saving preferences. Nothing more... Where am I wrong?? :C
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok Eric, it works: after I disconnect all my peripherals I then reopen Magic using my build in audio output, then closed magic, plugged the external sound card, set it as my default device then opened Magic...and it restart to work. Anyway changing buffer size repeat this really annoying "no sound" problem...
I was asking you to not use your external sound card at all. If the internal sound card works but the external one doesn't, then the problem is likely with your external sound card. Maybe there is a bug in its driver. And if changing the buffer size causes problems, then don't change the buffer size. You shouldn't really need to change it unless you really know what you are doing and it makes a difference. But for most people, it doesn't.
I also have the "automatic change graphic card" enabled on my energy saving preferences
That could be a problem. Try disabling it.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:
I was asking you to not use your external sound card at all. If the internal sound card works but the external one doesn't, then the problem is likely with your external sound card. Maybe there is a bug in its driver. And if changing the buffer size causes problems, then don't change the buffer size. You shouldn't really need to change it unless you really know what you are doing and it makes a difference. But for most people, it doesn't.
I also have the "automatic change graphic card" enabled on my energy saving preferences
That could be a problem. Try disabling it.
Ok, but why I have not to use my external sound card at all? I have my speakers through it. What should be the issue. With built in audio ouput no problem but with my sound card, even if I don't change the buffer size, one time works and three/four no. What driver? Is plug and play...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Another option you can try is to start Magic, and then in the drop-down menu in the Input Sources window, choose "Close Audio Input Device". This might prevent a conflict with your output device. I think this is what's happening.

Keep in mind that the buffer size selector is for input only, not output. So if you're getting problems when you change the buffer size, the problem is your input device.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:Another option you can try is to start Magic, and then in the drop-down menu in the Input Sources window, choose "Close Audio Input Device". This might prevent a conflict with your output device. I think this is what's happening.

Keep in mind that the buffer size selector is for input only, not output. So if you're getting problems when you change the buffer size, the problem is your input device.
Unfortnately nothing changed :(
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It is very rare that an output device wouldn't work properly, especially after "Close Audio Input Device" has been selected. Maybe try contacting the manufacturer? I really don't know what other help I can provide.

If your built-in audio output works properly I would just use that instead of fussing with some other device.
Sintek

Post by Sintek »

Eric wrote:It is very rare that an output device wouldn't work properly, especially after "Close Audio Input Device" has been selected. Maybe try contacting the manufacturer? I really don't know what other help I can provide.

If your built-in audio output works properly I would just use that instead of fussing with some other device.
Today I work with Magic for 2 hours: NOT a problem!!!

No audio glitches/crackles, audio input device NOT closed, 48kHz audio output quality from external sound card....

Still a mystery........
eurobaby

Post by eurobaby »

"if there's a sort of way to automate (like with audio daws) the parameters and write them in certain moments of an audio source input so I can easily export the video with them."

Is there a way to do this? surley i dont have to record form obs, like i must be able to automate during a session o it exports my changes on the video no?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes there is, you can record MIDI input, as I described above.