Previous topicNext topic

Using Expressions to change multiple Modules/Parameters

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
reGeneraTed

Using Expressions to change multiple Modules/Parameters

Post by reGeneraTed »

Dear Magic Team,

(First off, I absolutely love using this program. Its amazing that I'm finally able to use the creative and technical sides of my brain WHILE enjoying myself lol...)

Questions:

1. Can I change which frequency my module is listening to with an expression?

Ex:
If (x < y, listen to frequencies from 1.2k - 5k, else, listen to frequencies from 20hz - 80hz)
This would probably need to be accomplished with Global since the source would be changing lol.

2. Can I have an expression listen to another module?

Ex:
if (x < y (on the smooth parameter from module 2), x + x (on the delay parameter from module 1), ELSE x - x (on the delay parameter from module 1)

3. Is it possible to save parameter presets or Globals? It would be nice to transfer them to other projects.

Thanks in advance!
Sadler

Re: Using Expressions to change multiple Modules/Parameters

Post by Sadler »

For 1 for example: if (x<.2, Hi, if (x<0.6, Mid, Lo)) will convert the input to Hi, Mid and Lo (globals) frequencies depending on its value.

For 2: I don't think so, at least I can't think of a way. Modules only share frame output not data.

For 3: Absolutely, I do this all the time. If you have globals in an existing comp that you want to load into another then just export a scene to a new project using "Save scene to project" from the scene list context menu. Import it into another and the globals come along for the ride.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

As Sadler indicated, the key concept to understand is using Globals in Expressions: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... xpressions

You would create Globals for all the possible things you want to select, and then you use Expressions to actually do the selecting, as in Sadler's example. You can do this for both your #1 and #2.
reGeneraTed

Post by reGeneraTed »

Thanks for the information, gentlemen. I've been experimenting with Globals and I'm really learning a lot.

Swoop