Previous topicNext topic

Black full screen output over HDMI (projector)

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Sadler

Black full screen output over HDMI (projector)

Post by Sadler »

I'm performing in a week's time and I have been testing in preparation with a projector from my laptop. When outputting full screen to the projector over HDMI, output from Magic is black. I know the Magic window is there on the extended display since the desktop and mouse cursor disappear but no output is shown. When Magic is not full screen to the projector I can see everything else there including Magic windows etc.

Output over RGB D-Sub displays Magic's full screen output correctly. Resolume Arena 6 (and Vegas, Visikord, SMode) outputs to the projector correctly over HDMI and D-Sub. So for next weekend I can output FS from Magick through D-Sub or Spout via Resolume to get Magic onto the screen.

Windows 10, GTX 1070 + Intel HD 530
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Black full screen output over HDMI (projector)

Post by Magic »

My first thought is that maybe it's an Intel vs Nvidia issue. Sometimes the different graphics cards get assigned to different displays. This would mean that the graphics memory is not shared across the displays. Maybe those other apps don't use memory in the same way that Magic does.

Does it seem like there's any way (in your control panel) to ensure the Nvidia card is assigned to both displays? Or is there a way to entirely disable the Intel card on your system? Or perhaps, disable the Nvidia as a test just to see what happens?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Long story short, disabling Intel graphics worked.

Before I managed to raise enough courage to disable the Intel graphics I experimented with a different display (my TV). Setting the secondary (HDMI) display as the main display didn't change things - that is, I could FS to the laptop display but not over HDMI. However, spanning across the two displays did work when the secondary was main. Spanning didn't work when laptop display was main.

I couldn't find any way to disable integrated graphics from the bios or windows or app or control panel but disabling the device in the driver manager did the job and didn't seem to break anything else (so far).

Interestingly (though this isn't conclusive) my frame rates dropped a bit (~10fps) afterwards but more testing needed.

Many thanks Eric.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

No problem. Still, it's a bit strange because I've tested Magic on so many computers and with so many external displays and I haven't run into that issue. But, I have heard about it. It seems to be particular to certain motherboards/firmware/etc.

Also, maybe updating your graphics drivers would help, though I can't say for sure.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Just as clarification, when I said spanning didn't work when the laptop display was the main display, in actual fact, Magic did span but the spanned content only displayed on the laptop display, not on the HDMI display.

The laptop is a Gigabyte P37 core i7 with GTX1070 if you ever get a chance to test one.

I did upgrade the Intel drivers which fixed a crash in their config panel but didn't fix the blank screen. I will upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps after the weekend gig. When I tried updating last time (soon after buying laptop), performance was terrible and I had to revert back to a Gigabyte recommended driver. Perhaps drivers have improved since then.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Just as clarification, when I said spanning didn't work when the laptop display was the main display, in actual fact, Magic did span but the spanned content only displayed on the laptop display, not on the HDMI display.
Ok thanks, that seems to be in line with what I thought.

It's very strange that your secondary display would use the Intel card, especially because Magic always requests to use Nvidia if it's present. Not sure what I can do but I'll certainly think about it.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

So, I took the opportunity to update NVidia drivers and I can view Magic output over HDMI with integrated Intel graphics enabled. However, as happened last time I tried this, frame-rates have gone to hell. Seems I can't have both on this laptop. Anyway, I thought you'd be interested to know.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

I had the same issue with an ASUS board and NVIDIA graphics adapter. The moment the Intel graphics are involved fps goes down to nearly zero. I thought I could use the intel adaptor for the app and display my projectors through NVIDIA. But this won't work.

What I want to know is what will happen if I had two identical NVIDIA adaptors? Will they also turn down fps? It is a bit expensive to just try out. Could there be a benefit of two identical adaptors in computing power for Magic?

Additionally I observed a problem which might be correlated to this one: I actually use a NVIDIA 1080 GTX. I have a 4k-screen attached for the app and three FullHD beamers for the show. This works basically pretty well, but I see movements not really really smooth, its a bit stumling, despite the fact that fps is up, between 30 and well over 60. I would expect a more smooth movement. It is just accectable but I see it (of course). In fact when rehearsing without the beamers everything is fine. So I suspect the different resolution of my 4k-display could bring some disturbance?

And just to be complete: I always have some trouble to get my visuals displayed on all three beamers together. Mostly one of them shows just a blue screen despite the fact that it is present in the NVIDIA control panel. The remedy is to set a custom resolution with "CVT - reduced blanking". I am not deep enough into this to really understand. But it is always a test for patience til all projectors do what they are expected to.

Best
Reinhard
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I've got a support call with Gigabyte for this issue. They ask me to produce a video demonstrating the problem.

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Additional information:

I had a short opportunity to do some testing with two projectors in addition to the laptop display. One through HDMI and the other through 15-pin D Socket. Magic in this configuration spans the two projectors as it should. As soon as I unplug the D-Connector, full screen to projector over HDMI goes black again.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. That's strange.

Overall I'm not really sure if this is an issue I can solve, but I'll keep thinking about it.