Previous topicNext topic

problem with glsl shader module and the expansion pack files

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
calagax

problem with glsl shader module and the expansion pack files

Post by calagax »

I use some of the expansion pack files stored in a different directory and if you reopen a patch it does not find the files.I jJust have to manually reload them.

It does not happen if I use from either the GLSLShaders directory or the old 2dscenes directory only when i get them from any other directory.

Not a real big problem if this is the intended design. I imagine I could relocate the expansion pack files into the 2dscenes directory and it will work fine.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: problem with glsl shader module and the expansion pack f

Post by Magic »

Ok, thanks. The Expansion Pack shouldn't have to be in any particular directory, so if it's not working, it could be a bug.

When you say "reopen" do you mean when you load the project again?

I'm trying to see if I can duplicate the issue but it seems to be working here for me. Any other info you could provide? For example, which file was it?

Thanks,
Eric
calagax

Post by calagax »

Yes, when i close and reopen a patch. Also, meant to say it is the new 1.5 version.

What happened was I created a patch this morning then updated to the new version this afternoon and reopened the patch and had the problem.

I then tested it a bit to see what was going on and it happens even after freshly saving the patch, closing it and then reopening.

ON EDIT: Missed that you could not replicate. I am doing an export now but i will see if I can detect any possible anomalies on my end like directory permissions or some weird thing and get back to you later.

Thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. Now that you've updated Magic to the new version, does it still happen?

Also is this on Mac or PC?
calagax

Post by calagax »

PC running WIndows 7, 64 bit version.

It was the updated version that began the problem. Prior to that i often would make a patch and reopen it without it losing track of the shader file.

I will test it some more on my end when the export finishes in a couple hours.

Thanks again.
calagax

Post by calagax »

OK, a little more information.

I have the expansion pack files in a subdirectory of the Magic install special directory called 2DScenes_ExpansionPack.

As an example I can load any file from that directory, save the project and when I attempt to reload I get the following message in a Warning dialog

The following file(s) could not be loaded:

.\..\..\..\Program Files\Magic\Modules\Special\GLSLShaders_ExpansionPack\3morphdots.txt

It seems it is not looking for the correct directory name since there is no directory named GLSLShaders_ExpansionPack anywhere on my hard drive.

So, just for fun I renamed the 2DScenes_ExpansionPack directory to GLSLShaders_ExpansionPack and repeated the experiment of loading a file, saving the project and then reloading it and it worked fine.'

Obviously this is not an ideal solution for everyone but I hope it gives you enough info to find what may be not working quite right. This particular issue will not be slowing me down. :D
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ahh, yes, I know what's happening. Interesting problem, thanks for reporting it!

For version 1.5, we renamed the 2DScenes module to GLSLShader. To ensure backwards compatibility, Magic will automatically replace "2DScenes" with "GLSLShader" in any filename that the GLSLShader module tries to load. We had to do this so that the built-in shaders would still work with old projects.

We also renamed the expansion pack so that it would work as well (which you can download on the resources page -- but it's just the same pack, except with a new name). The problem is that if you use the old expansion pack with the new module, it will try to replace the "2DScenes" text in the path. This will make it so that the file isn't found.

Sorry about that. We'll fix this in the next version. :) But, as you figured out, renaming the folder from "2DScenes_ExpansionPack" to "GLSLShaders_ExpansionPack" will also fix the issue.

Eric