Previous topicNext topic

Premium: Can't play audio file

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
plexus

Premium: Can't play audio file

Post by plexus »

Hi there. I just bought the premium version after trying the demo. with the demo i could import an audio track and play it from the input window. but with the premium edition, when i hit play, nothing happens. ive tried different files and no go. i can export the video with the audio but playing and working in real time doesn;t work.

any suggestions?

2010 mac pro 12-core 10.12
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Premium: Can't play audio file

Post by Magic »

Hmm, there's absolutely no difference in the audio playback engine in the Demo vs the full version...

You're saying that when you hit the play button, you hear the audio in the Demo version, but you don't hear it in the full version?
plexus

Post by plexus »

Initially I tried the demo and everything worked as expected, playing the audio file back. then I upgraded to Premium and can't play audio files. the trasport controls show its playing but the time code sits at 0 and there is no audio. I've tried different options such as load into memory and not, etc. From your question I reinstalled the Demo and it's not working now as well.

So something happened when I installed Premium I guess.

Any things I can try? Should I make a video of this?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What sound card are you using? I'd suggest going into System Preferences and selecting your Built-In Output as your sound output device, just as a test. Then restart Magic and see if the audio playback works.
plexus

Post by plexus »

Ok... I think I found the problem and solution. I use Menubus Pro (https://www.menubus.audio/) which is system app to manage audio flow on macOS. It seems if I can't play an audio track in Magic, I need to quit and restart Magic and make sure Menubus is set to the output I want to use.

Seems like Magic isn't working nicely with Menubus Pro.

Thanks for the suggestion as it helped me focus on troubleshooting!
dwheitner

Post by dwheitner »

This thread has been very helpful to me.

I just created a post, not yet approved by moderators, describing an identical issue on Windows 10. I had almost given up on searching when I came across this thread.

For whatever reason, the demo version worked fine with the Behringer UMC202HD ASIO audio setup that I normally have enabled for my digital audio workstation. But the paid version of Magic Studio does not. Switching over to the onboard Realtek Audio on my I7 PC, after reading this thread, did the trick. Thanks!