Previous topicNext topic

Computer resource use and speeding up the app

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
danklim

Computer resource use and speeding up the app

Post by danklim »

Hi

I’ve been playing around with the demo and have noticed that it sometimes slows my computer down, Could you please help answer a couple questions?

a) Are there any easy ways to speed it up? Any options/settings/workflows that I can change/adjust to decrease the computational demands of the app? Or are there certain modules that especially take up a lot of resources and that I should stay away from?

b) Is there a big difference in computational demands depending on the size of a project and how many scenes it has? For example, will it use approximately the same amount of computer resources if I am using a project with one scene as it would if I am using a project with 100 scenes? Or is there a big difference?

c) Will adding RAM to my computer help to speed it up? I have 8gb and considering upgrading to 40gb

Thanks, Dan
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Computer resource use and speeding up the app

Post by Magic »

What kind of computer do you have?
danklim

Post by danklim »

I have a 27-inch Late 2015 Imac Retina 5K, , with

processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory : 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

I also have a 2013 macbook with solid state hard drive. I have had some issues with both computers, though they are both running a lot of applications so am not sure how much magic is causing the slow down, but It seemed to make the computer go faster when i quit magic. Maybe i should wait till a slowdown happens again and see the activity monitor to see how much magic resources magic is actually taking up
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, it would be best to see how Magic runs by itself.

There is a section in the User's Guide that covers some performance optimizations: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... erformance
danklim

Post by danklim »

Ok great thanks, i will try that and that link has exactly what i was looking for.

Still wondering about the answer to this general question below and dont see the answer on the user guide, Could you please help answer this?

Is there a big difference in computational demands depending on the size of a project and how many scenes it has? For example, will it use approximately the same amount of computer resources if I am using a project with one scene as it would if I am using a project with 10 or 100 scenes? Or is there a big difference?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

With Magic's default settings, each scene is independent. Memory and processors are generally only used by the scene(s) being displayed. Therefore, it doesn't matter how many scenes there are.

There are some exceptions though; for example, video capture and video streaming are still processing even when their scene isn't being displayed. This is because capture/streaming is very difficult to stop and start again quickly.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

Also if I use other scenes with the scenes module it loads the other ones, right?
So if I have 11 Scenes and one has the other scenes as input, all 11 scenes are loaded?

I have had some ideas about and experiments with a workflow that uses multiples scenes with an inputSelector.
I'll post about it soon (just don't have time to describe it in enough details atm.).
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Also if I use other scenes with the scenes module it loads the other ones, right?
So if I have 11 Scenes and one has the other scenes as input, all 11 scenes are loaded?
Yup that's correct. But if you use an InputSelector to change between scenes, only the selected input scene is loaded/used.