Previous topicNext topic

Using Magic to add effects to Lumen, webcam, syphon clients

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
danklim

Using Magic to add effects to Lumen, webcam, syphon clients

Post by danklim »

Hey!

I use lumen video video synth often bc it makes great visuals, but it doesn’t have audio reactivity. I tried using Magic to add reactivity to it, but its not working great, Could you please help?

BTW- i wrote this post about just Lumen, but i just realized the the same issues/questions apply to a webcam live capture or any other syphon input and am curious about using Magic to apply effects to these as well. So it says Lumen throughout the whole post, but the questions are for all of these sources really.

I used syphon client to input the Lumen output into magic. There isn’t a particular effect that i’m looking to do, just want to find/build a toolbox of effects that wil add audio reactiivity and make it look cool. To start simple, I tried adding the scale effect in Magic, but it makes it look wierd because it only makes a very big effect where most of the screen goes black and the whole lumen output quickly gets bigger and smaller. I want to keep Lumen in the full screen, and i would prefer if i could make the effect more subtle. Is there any way to do this in the scale module or in other modules?

Also, after trying the scale module, i tried using some different effects modules (like kaliedascope and lens flare) and linking their parameters to the sound to add audio reactive effects to lumen in the syphon client, but i didn’t see any effect. I’m new to Magic so im not sure if i did something wrong- should there be visible effects when i do this?

Also, I’m a bit confused about which effects/modules might be good to apply the effects to lumen. There are many options for modules and some of them seem like theyre more geared towards creating source material than putting effects on already produced video. Not sure which ones are good for effects though.

Are there any specific effects/modules or groups/types of effects/modules that would be good to use with Lumen?

Thanks, Dan