Previous topicNext topic

New Beta not handling alpha channel GIFs.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Professor LightWAV

New Beta not handling alpha channel GIFs.

Post by Professor LightWAV »

Aloha,

I downloaded the new beta, and had a major problem. The new beta no longer has support for alpha channel gifs. I make lots of GIFs, and they are a big party of what I do. I have several Magic scenes that I created that use alpha channel GIFs as one of their elements. I was super happy that Magic handled alpha channel GIFs so well, but in the new version, either the alpha is gone, and there are white backgrounds behind the GIFs, or the program just crashes when I open a project with an alpha channel gif in it. Thank you for an otherwise amazing program.

I'm running a 2016 Mac book pro on OS Sierra. All these project files work on my older version of Magic (2.01).
Magic
Site Admin

Re: New Beta not handling alpha channel GIFs.

Post by Magic »

You're right. As it always seems to be, the issue is premultiplied vs straight alpha. I'll try to think of the best way to handle it. But in the meantime, you can use my premultiply effect, see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=355&p=1426#p1426
or the program just crashes when I open a project with an alpha channel gif in it.
It definitely shouldn't be crashing, even if the alpha channel isn't handled correctly. Definitely send me any .gifs that are causing the program to crash!