Previous topicNext topic

Timecode on scene

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
dazarz

Timecode on scene

Post by dazarz »

Could you suggest, please, how to add a timecode somethere on the scene? I would like to get something like in this video: https://youtu.be/r33uvnHUElw?t=37s - simply display elapsed time of the song...
Sadler

Re: Timecode on scene

Post by Sadler »

Something like this should work, but something is causing a blank digit and the tens don't sync quite right. Perhaps the Ramp isn't suitable for timing. More likely is that my fudge-factor (tmp Global) in the Expression is probably inadequate.
Counter.png
Counter.png (59.65 KiB) Viewed 7426 times
The JPG module has FPS which, if you had ten digits as bitmaps might be more accurate and easier to control. Of course it would have to use sexagesimal for the minutes and hours.

Or by far the easiest way, if you have access to After Effects, is to create a time-code using Effects->Text->Numbers.
dazarz

Post by dazarz »

Sadler wrote:Something like this ...
Thanks for interesting idea... First I have prepared a movie with the counting timer (black digits on green background) in Blender, but it doesn't look fine after including using chroma key module. Well, I'll try use your suggestion. What is the expression in the translate module? I'm not sure if the picture shows entire expression.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

It is x*fntSize/tmp+os.

Where 'x' is the input from the Ramp, 'fntSize' is the font size matching the Text module and 'tmp' is the fudge-factor to reduce the digits down so they just fit in the screen. 'os' is the offset to pull the digits to the beginning when x = 0.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The easiest thing might be to use a pre-rendered timecode video such as the ones on this page: http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/video/timecode/

Sadler, your idea about translating the text is very creative! I think the issue with the timing is actually a couple things:
1) It's always best to use just one Ramp (or Increase) as a Global, rather than 2 or more separate Ramps inside modules. It helps to make sure the timing is exactly synchronized.
2) The Step modifier is probably not what you want to use. Step rounds both up and down (for example, a Step of 1 would round the range .5 to 1.5). What you want is to round down only (0 to 1 should round to 0). This is achieved with the Expression modifier and the floor function: floor(x).

I had some fun last night playing with your setup, so I've attached my own experimentation which counts up to 100 minutes (repeats after 99:59). You can adjust the Global called "fontScale" to change the font size. You can also change the font in the Text modules.

Make sure to grab the latest Magic 2.11 Beta because the attached project needs the new Global functionality to work properly.
Attachments
Timer.magic
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Awesome thanks Eric - I wouldn't have worked that out by myself. Nice one!

dazarz

Post by dazarz »

Thanks for another suggestions... The main issue with including the external pre-rendered video file is the quality which is not as good as text from internal module in Magic. The timer.magic project looks very interesting... I realized that this software is absolutely awesome... I still have much to learn... :)

But working on this project I have an idea for new module in Magic: TextReadFromMidi
Such module could read from specially prepared midi file the text events (FF 01 <len> <text>) or lyrics events (FF 05 <len> <text>) and dynamically process it as normal TextModule. It could allow not only for creating something like timer (via text events saved in midi file) but also any text/lyric in exact specified time... this feature would be useful for ie. karaoke creators or music teachers.

What do you think of such idea?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It's a good idea. Personally I think the best way to add lyrics would be to read them from a text file, but I'll take your suggestion into consideration :).
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Hello,

How do you get this timer to be controlled by the playlist ?

I can't sync it up with the song (it's outta control :) )
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Open Timer.magic.

Edit the Global "seconds": change the source to Internals and select the Playback Time feature. Disable or delete the Increase modifier.

That's it!