Previous topicNext topic

Playlist "forgets" MIDI trigger assignments

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Missionrec

Playlist "forgets" MIDI trigger assignments

Post by Missionrec »

Hello, I'm a noob here and I'm enjoying getting to know this software.

I am using MIDI to trigger playlist entries from Ableton to sync visuals with a live band. When I save a Magic project and re-open it I find that I have to go back a re-assign all playlist triggers, they were not stored with the Magic project file.

BTW MIDI trigger parameters are being remembered by the "videofile" module, it is just the playlist that is forgetting the assignments.

Can someone please help me know what i am missing?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Playlist "forgets" MIDI trigger assignments

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I'm not sure. MIDI seems to be saving properly for me in the Playlist. If you save a project, and then immediately reopen it (without exiting Magic), does it still not save the MIDI properly?

Is it possible that your MIDI configuration is changing somehow -- for example, the names of your MIDI devices, or the order they appear in the drop-down list?
Missionrec

Post by Missionrec »

I will look into it. The triggering device (abelton) switches from a PC in production to a MacBook for performance. the playback device (i7 Laptop) and interface (steinberg UR 22 MK II) are consistant.

Question: Is it possible to have a list of notes to choose from in the playback window MIDI assignment (like in the modules) instead of sending the window a note to 'capture'? It seems that the "user selection" would be easier and more consistent than the "capture" routine currently in use.

BTW I would be overjoyed to see the same option in Ableton's MIDI trigger assignment routine...

Thank you for responding so quickly!!

:)

Hank
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Question: Is it possible to have a list of notes to choose from in the playback window MIDI assignment (like in the modules) instead of sending the window a note to 'capture'? It seems that the "user selection" would be easier and more consistent than the "capture" routine currently in use.
Yup. That's exactly what the Global Command option is for. You can manually select a command whose value will determine the entry #.
See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... aylistMIDI for a full description.