Previous topicNext topic

HELP! Canon dslr camera as video input source ???

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
parhamtlb

HELP! Canon dslr camera as video input source ???

Post by parhamtlb »

hi ,
few days a go I purchased performer version ,
I have tried many ways but I couldn't find a way to use my canon 700D camera as video input source for live video capturing ,
can anyone help ?
how is it possible ? using a digital camera as video live capturing input source .
tnx a lot :)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: HELP! Canon dslr camera as video input source ???

Post by Magic »

If you add a VideoCaptureDS/QT module to your scene, does your camera show up in the device list?
parhamtlb

Post by parhamtlb »

Eric wrote:If you add a VideoCaptureDS/QT module to your scene, does your camera show up in the device list?
tnx for your fast response ,
no , it doesn't appear in the list , the only option that appears in the list is my laptop webcam,
I'm running magic on win 10 and connecting my canon dslr camera via usb to the laptop,
in the canon software I can do the live shooting so its technically possible to do live shooting with my camera and usb connection , but I don't know how to add my camera to the list in the VideoCaptureDS module in the magic .
tnx for your attention .
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

parhamtlb wrote:...I don't know how to add my camera to the list in the VideoCaptureDS module...
For a USB connection I believe you need to use some additional driver software (possibly all derived from Canon's SDK).

I can't vouch for it, but SparkoCam is one such. http://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam. There's a watermarked version available free-of-charge, but it's $49.95 if you want to buy without the huge watermark.

I tried it quickly (on a 5D Mk II) and it certainly works. I have always found a significant lag when using a DSLR as a video source, although in the past I have only used the camera's HDMI output feeding a framegrabber. Here's a link with a few useful observations if you go the HDMI route. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSpeXYeo4xc.
parhamtlb

Post by parhamtlb »

Terry Payman wrote:
parhamtlb wrote:...I don't know how to add my camera to the list in the VideoCaptureDS module...
For a USB connection I believe you need to use some additional driver software (possibly all derived from Canon's SDK).

I can't vouch for it, but SparkoCam is one such. http://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam. There's a watermarked version available free-of-charge, but it's $49.95 if you want to buy without the huge watermark.

I tried it quickly (on a 5D Mk II) and it certainly works. I have always found a significant lag when using a DSLR as a video source, although in the past I have only used the camera's HDMI output feeding a framegrabber. Here's a link with a few useful observations if you go the HDMI route. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSpeXYeo4xc.

tnx a lot , Sparkocam worked perfectly for me , and also it costs a lot less than buying a hd capture card .
and just wanted to say Magic really Rocks ! its amazing , I'm a music producer and I fell in love with the magic the first sec I downloaded the demo version, very powerful and user friendly .
by the way , according to the users guide "Magic's graphics can be sent to other applications in real-time using Spout (Windows)" ,
what other apps you suggest to work with beside magic ?
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

parhamtlb wrote:tnx a lot, Sparkocam worked perfectly for me ... "Magic's graphics can be sent to other applications in real-time using Spout"... what other apps you suggest to work with beside magic ?
I'm glad Sparkocam worked for you :D

Naturally it depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it, but Resolume Avenue is a great complement to Magic (although many times the price). On this forum there are many advanced users of Magic/Resolume who can better advise on using the two in combination, but for what it's worth...

I bought Resolume Avenue before Magic was available. Avenue was the first Windows program that I found that could let me simulate video feedback, for which is has features (specifically Layers) still not available in Magic. That said, I find Magic such an intuitive and productive environment that I haven't used Resolume at all since I got Magic! YMMV, as I have no interest in loops.

As Magic supports the many FFGL effects used by Resolume Avenue 4, that version is an interesting place to start. If you download the demo you can check out the program and use the V4 Resolume effects in Magic (but only in the 32-bit version as the V4 Resolume effects are 32-bit) https://resolume.com/download/files?fil ... taller.exe.

That said, stability and performance will probably be better if you use Magic in 64-bit mode without the Resolume FFGL effects. Magic's recent support for, and inclusion of, the newer Vidvox ISF effects gives it a large (and modifiable) additional effects library having equivalents of most of the Resolume effects. Resolume Avenue 6 is now available as a (customers only) beta, for the first time available as a 64-bit program. 64-bit Magic + 64-bit Resolume Avenue should be an awesome combination.