Previous topicNext topic

Spout from Magic to a second instance of Magic?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Terry Payman

Spout from Magic to a second instance of Magic?

Post by Terry Payman »

Magic doesn't seem to see another instance of itself as an available Spout source, even though the Zeal SpoutReceiver program sees it OK.

I'm wanting to test a large selection of scenes across many old Magic projects as potential backgrounds for a new Magic project.

I'd like to select the potential background in one instance of Magic, then "Spout" it to a second instance of Magic where I was running my new project.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Spout from Magic to a second instance of Magic?

Post by Magic »

I had to prevent Magic from receiving Spout from itself in order to avoid nasty feedback loops. Since the multi-instance functionality is still technically experimental, I never added any consideration for Spout with multiple instances. I'll have to investigate further to see if it is in fact possible.
Terry Payman

Re: Spout from Magic to a second instance of Magic?

Post by Terry Payman »

Suggestion: If there were means of specifying the name of Magic's Spout sender, perhaps as a command line option only, the existing safeguard could still be used. An instance of Magic would not list its own Spout sender name in the available Spout receiver sources, safeguarding the unwary.

The more adventurous users would gain the freedom to make full use of the possibilities of Magic feeding Magic on a single computer, and might be very happy to have feedback as an option with each instance able to see another's output ;).

It could be useful for prototyping the signal flow on what was eventually to be implemented on multiple machines for maximum performance.