Previous topicNext topic

3D model -ve scaling

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Sadler

3D model -ve scaling

Post by Sadler »

Has anyone done this? Apply negative scaling in any dimension by any amount to a 3D model and it turns dark. Perhaps it is getting its normals flipped.

Now scale by a negative amount in another dimension so two negative dimensions - the object comes back.

Apply -ve scaling in a third dimension and its flipping gone again.
skarabee

Re: 3D model -ve scaling

Post by skarabee »

Noticed that too.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

It would seem this is standard behaviour for a number of 3D applications. One can get around it by having double-sided faces or by re-winding the mesh, neither of which are suitable for Magic (IMHO). So while it is convenient to flip models with negative scaling, one is probably better off rotating them or make sure you negative scale the model in an even number of dimensions.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I probably should have prevented negative values in the Scale module from the beginning, but I don't want to change it now because it might screw up people's projects.

I do recommend that you avoid negative scale values when possible.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Eric wrote:I probably should have prevented negative values in the Scale module from the beginning, but I don't want to change it now because it might screw up people's projects.
Negative scaling is awesome! Please don't ever nerf that. There are times when using it to reverse a model or flip an image is the perfect solution.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok! ;)