Previous topicNext topic

More info on how to use Spout ?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Slavi

More info on how to use Spout ?

Post by Slavi »

Hello fellow Magicians

I ;) am using different software to generate content and I’ve always struggled with sending this data to Magic.
I’ve even used ManyCam to capture certain windows and then fake it as a WebCam, so I can feed it to Magic (as you can imagine terrible FSP issues)…

I know Magic supports Spout, but how do I get Spout to run on the other Apps ?! Is there some software like OBS but with Spout output or something ?

Overall what is the best practice for capturing media content from 3rd party apps and feeding it to Magic ? :roll:

Regards,
S.
Sadler

Re: More info on how to use Spout ?

Post by Sadler »

If you go to http://spout.zeal.co/ you'll see a long list of programs that support Spout. Unfortunately there aren't any options for capturing the desktop. If you check out the forums there, someone has used vvvv to capture and send to spout. Another option might be vMix which can capture the desktop and send it over NDI - there's an NDI receiver for spout.

It is much better if your 3rd party app supports spout natively then it is trivial getting it into Magic.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Another option to consider is using two computers if you can. With a video capture card on the Magic computer, you can grab the HDMI output of the other computer. This will give you the best quality, flexibility, and reliability, but obviously the extra hardware can be expensive.

For example:
http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi
spacedoctor

Post by spacedoctor »

+1 for using vmix to assist NDI and Spout to capture external devices. I have managed to port my ipad display via Airdisplay onto my pc and then capture with spout/ndi and vmix, into MMV and it appears to be at full hd too.
Having trouble getting spout output though, tried VPMT and Mapio so far and no luck recognising the MMV spout :-(
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hmm. I haven't heard of the Spout output not working. But the next release of Magic will have the latest Spout version, hopefully it will work better for you.
spacedoctor

Post by spacedoctor »

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get it working eventually!