Previous topicNext topic

Few noob questions :)

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
and.galva

Few noob questions :)

Post by and.galva »

Hello everyone,

My first post here :)
I am playing with the latest Magic Demo downloaded from the website and I’m considering to buy it. I have few doubts though, hoping you can clarify them.
I searched for existing topics, but couldn't find any.
For reference: I use a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.

1) Is it normal that, after few minutes from opening it, with an empty scene, Magic is using 28-30% of CPU? I can hear the fans are working pretty hard

I am thinking about using Magic for live performances, where the audio is processed through my Mac and the video is created based on the audio provided.
2) If I connect an external monitor (unluckily I don’t have one now to test), can I set the video output to be full-screen on the external monitor while still having a preview on my Mac screen? Or Magic can only use one screen at a time?
3) Can I control the scenes with a MIDI device? Controls can be only like “Play next/previous scene” or could they be also “Play scene #1/2/3/…”?

Last but not least
4) Are there more effects in the full version of Magic? Or the ones in the demo are all of them?

Looking forward to learning a lot here,

Thank you.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Few noob questions :)

Post by Magic »

Thanks for your interest in Magic :).

1) Magic is a very resource-intensive application, so it's possible that there could be 30% CPU usage and loud fans, especially because a MacBook Air isn't really intended for heavy multimedia use. I always recommend a computer with a dedicated GPU (NVidia or AMD) if you have access to one. But, keep in mind that nothing is wrong with your computer if there's high CPU usage and loud fans. It's just working hard and being ready to draw real-time graphics.

2) In addition to fullscreen output on an external monitor, you can have two separate small windows (one to view the same scene as the fullscreen output, and one to preview a different scene).
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... screenMode
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... viewWindow

3) The Playlist Window is what you use to control the scenes with MIDI in exactly the ways you describe:
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... listWindow

4) Hmm, how many effects do you want? :) Magic has over 200. Try looking in the ISF folder:
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... e.html#ISF

Definitely check out the User's Guide because it has a lot of information about all the features :). Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you have any further questions.
and.galva

Post by and.galva »

Thank you Eric for the super detailed reply!
I don't see the ISF folder in the demo, good to know 200+ effects are bundled in the full version. That sounds like days/weeks of fun :D
I'll definitely start with a deep look at the user guide.
Thanks again.
Abraxo

Post by Abraxo »

I'm a new user as well and have made a simple visualization I'd like to use when I DJ.
I notice there's only one kind of waveform that can only be changed a couple different ways, I was wondering if there's a repository where people who make their own modules put them up for download? I'd like to see what kind of waveforms are out there, specifically ring shaped ones.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Yes the built in Wave module has few options but don't discount it without experimenting further with additional effects and transforms.
waves.jpg
waves.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
waves2.jpg
waves2.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
There are also several wave type effects on interactiveshaderformat.com.
Abraxo

Post by Abraxo »

Sweet! thanks!
I'm looking to do something in particular with the waveform, specifically I'd like to get something similar to the waveform that Proximity (youtube) uses in their videos. I'm into mostly minimalist type visuals.
JoHe

Post by JoHe »

Eric wrote:Thanks for your interest in Magic :).

1) Magic is a very resource-intensive application, so it's possible that there could be 30% CPU usage and loud fans, especially because a MacBook Air isn't really intended for heavy multimedia use. I always recommend a computer with a dedicated GPU (NVidia or AMD) if you have access to one. But, keep in mind that nothing is wrong with your computer if there's high CPU usage and loud fans. It's just working hard and being ready to draw real-time graphics.
Hi Eric,

I'm also new to Magic. I have 2015 nacbook pro, my fans are also working pretty hard. Just wanted to ask if something in the settings can be changed to improve this.

Thanks
Johannes
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not really, unfortunately.