Previous topicNext topic

3D models and latest beta

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
BaconMKII

3D models and latest beta

Post by BaconMKII »

So I created a simple file with a rotating .3ds model with trails followed by kaleidoscope, in the last official release.
Then I attempted to open that file with the latest 32bit beta version and it worked fine. But attempting to copy those same modules into a new scene, created with the Beta version, doesn't work at all.

The only modules that seem to be working with 3D models are the Color and Transform modules. Not sure if this is a bug or a change in the software. I didnt see it in the VersionHistory.txt
Magic
Site Admin

Re: 3D models and latest beta

Post by Magic »

Hmm, can you let me know more specifically what isn't working about it? I just tried loading the ModelExamples sample project, which hasn't been modified for the newest Beta. Playing around with it and copying modules into a new scene seems to work for me so far.

Thanks
Eric
BaconMKII

Post by BaconMKII »

Im looking at this with a fresh set of eyes today.

So creating a new file with the beta and using a 2D module doesnt work. Opening an existing older file with the same setup does work.

Also, while attempting to test it again for a screencap, I noticed that all of the models in all of the scenes had disappeared. This isn't shown in the screen cap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGzCPj ... tu.be&hd=1
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That's quite odd! I see exactly what you're talking about.

Unfortunately I can't seem to duplicate the behavior here... everything seems to be working as normal. I tested on 2 machines, one with an NVidia graphics card, and one with an Intel graphics card.

What kind of graphics card do you have? Perhaps try updating the driver to the latest version?

Also, can you see if your graphics card supports the memory status display (Window > Magic Window Options > Show Free Graphics Memory)? If so, how much graphics memory does it show being used?

One final thing, can you copy and paste the first few lines from the Help > OpenGL Info box?

Hopefully all this info will help me get it sorted out. Thanks!

Eric
BaconMKII

Post by BaconMKII »

Also, I just got this error. I was working in an entirely different file with only 1 model. But I was working on an entirely different scene. Maybe I just have to clean up the memory every now and then?

Dual Nvidia GT750M in SLI with drivers up to date.

It shows 1606636 when I click on Show free graphic memory.

Version: 4.4.0

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Maximum RGBA Texture Size: 16384x16384 pixels

Maximum Renderbuffer Size: 16384x16384 pixels

*Edit, cleaning up graphics memory caused an error where I had to quit.
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (209.12 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, thanks. I'm pretty sure it isn't your graphics card then, since you have a good one.

I wonder: what happens if you remove all the Additional Module Folders, and just use the built-in modules that come with Magic? Do you still get the issue? Perhaps there's some kind of conflict there.

A related issue is that each FFGL plugin was written by someone different, so it makes it harder to pinpoint errors. Not to say that Magic's code is 100% perfect of course, but I haven't seen that Runtime Error before, so it could (and I'm just saying *could*) be in one of the FFGL plugins rather than in Magic.

Anyway, I'll keep investigating. If you have any other information please let me know. But I do think it's worth approaching some FFGL plugins with skepticism if they don't come from reputable sources.

Eric
BaconMKII

Post by BaconMKII »

Good idea. Ill do an audit of the ones I have installed and report back.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think I've made a good discovery. It appears as though some FFGL plugins are in fact interfering with the rendering of 3D models and 2D effects. From what I can tell so far, these plugins don't "clean up" after themselves properly, and they leave the window in some kind of an incorrect state.

If I start Magic fresh, and create a new project with just Magic modules, everything works fine.

But if I use any of the problematic FFGL plugins before doing that, in any scene, 3D models aren't rendered right with 2D effects. This behavior persists until fullscreen mode is toggled (which completely resets the window).

As one example, the Resolume plugin "AVFFGLParticles" causes the problem.

However, in general, most of my FFGL plugins don't cause any problems.

Can you confirm?
BaconMKII

Post by BaconMKII »

I tried this and it worked as you stated. Going full screen fixes the problem. But I have to do it for every scene that has a 3d model which I want to use 2D modules on.

In the first scene that was problematic, I had model and no modules other than Magic modules. In the second problematic scene I had another 3d model with Resolume's FFGL lowrez and FFGL EdgeDetection. There were also scenes throughout the project which had some Resolume plugins.

Everything works fine with the Resolume folder removed. These are the ones I was using throughout the project.
The following module(s) could not be loaded:

FFGLEdgeDetection
FFGLHueRotate
FFGLLorez
AVFFGLSideBySide
SyzGL_Goo
AVFFGLStingySphere
FFGLDistortion
AVFFGLTrails
AVFFGLCrop
SyzGL_VideoWall
SyzGL_Ripples
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks. I've figured out a way to deal with the problematic FFGL plugins, so this issue will be fixed in the 1.5 release.