Previous topicNext topic

MIDI clock from audio

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
carldickson

Re: MIDI clock from audio

Post by carldickson »

Hi,

This is really cool, ive been using wave clock but this keeps the beat much tighter an doesn't drift.

Big thumbs up!!!

Im actually using it for a LED lighting display to keep it in time to the DJ.

Thanks
weatherje

Post by weatherje »

Hello,

Great that you are developing an alternative to Waveclock!

1) I just tried it with Wine under macOS and have the problem that a change in the BPM rate (when the next song starts) is recognized only after around 30 seconds. This is a bit too late for a live setup. Any ideas how to fix that? I'll try under Windows later.

2) Would you send me the source code via PM? That would be nice. Maybe I would try to develop a Mac version, since the libs are available for Mac too. Which program language did you use?

Cheers from Germany
Grimlinger

Post by Grimlinger »

What a wonderful project ! I've had a waveclock windows beta with a (still valid) license but their licence server has suddenly stopped working for me and emails bounce back while i used to have some contact with them , so really looking for an alternative , fingers crossed here !

The app itself seems to run smooth on my win10 x64 , i can get it into loopmidi , data is transmitted.
Tried it with some various styles of psytrance , it was very accurate even.

I want to use this software with magic & resolume , so far only tried in resolume 6.
Here i do see the data through loopmidi come in , buuuut it isn't working as a midi clock :/
I see the bpm of resolume shoot from 20 to 500 , while Zeplayer is at perfect 145,97

I so hope this works out
steffey

Post by steffey »

I just picked up AudioBoxBaby the other day. Freeware.
https://www.bigfug.com/software/audiobox/

It is the only one I've used so, It works better than nothing, that is all I know. :)
Seems a bit loose sometimes. It does not have a 'stop on silence' attribute, so the bpm keeps going during silence.
AudioBoxBaby-Preview.png
AudioBoxBaby-Preview.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 26976 times
It's Midi is controlling the Donald clip's shot, >loosely<. I may not have had the volume levels up high enough on that run though....

I'd missed the ZEPlayer I'll go play!
carldickson

Post by carldickson »

Hi Tsunoo,

I was wondering if you were going to do any further dev on this app? If not would you consider releasing the code so we can do some further work on it?

Thanks
louistypething

Post by louistypething »

Since I haven't been able to find a cross platform open source version of this incredibly useful tool I decided to try and build my own.

https://github.com/louischaman/PyBeatSync

It uses python 2.7 and a state of the art audio and music analysis library madmom.

If anyone would be interested in helping me develop it to make it more robust and faster I'd appreciate any input.

I feel like a tool such as this could be very useful to a lot of people wanting to sync visuals, DAWs or physical synths with a mediaplayer or DJ.
jonnyboy501

Post by jonnyboy501 »

Hi Tsunoo
First off, I'm pretty late to the party, but anyway.
Thanks a LOT for this piece of software!! I've been dreaming about something like that for what feels forever.
However, I've sadly run into an issue when connecting it to SoundSwitch (a S2L Software)
The Software detects each pulse from the detector as plenty of pulses and "rotates" my Light show multiple times each pulse (it moves forward more than 4 beats per beat).
Do you have any idea why that might be, or what I'm doing wrong?

Note:
I'm looping the Audio to the detector and its Midi signal to the s2l virtually inside my computer as a test setup.

Thanks