Previous topicNext topic

How to visualize specific sounds in audio stream

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
resvic

How to visualize specific sounds in audio stream

Post by resvic »

Hi,

I am new to this software and novice in manipulating audio streams. What I want to achieve is that whenever a specific sound is received in Microphone the visualizer should show it in a distinguishable format. It can be a different colour, or position, or may be a shape, but the condition is that it should only appear when that specific sound is received.

An example of this would be an audio recording of a game training session. In the session coach gives instructions, the players talk to each other, make sound, there is sound from all around the environment. But whenever coach WHISTLES, it is a distinguishable sound and I want to show on the screen a visualization of that sound.

How can we do it with Magic ? is it even possible?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: How to visualize specific sounds in audio stream

Post by Magic »

Good question!

Unfortunately, Magic can't detect specific sounds in audio input. I'm not really up-to-date on that kind of technology, but I don't think there's any software which can do it in real-time, at least not any that's easy to use.

Doing a quick Google search for "sound recognition" does come up with some interesting sites, such as http://www.audioanalytic.com/en/#.U_Yt1kjYkXw and http://www.sejona.com/application-softw ... ition.html. But, those look like they are for advanced users and not really intended for consumer use. However, you might still try contacting them and seeing what they recommend.

If you were able to find a program you could use, you could have it trigger things in Magic by sending out MIDI messages, but it would have to support that of course.

Hope that helps.

Eric
resvic

Post by resvic »

Thanks for your reply Eric

I have gone through the websites which you suggested. Yes they are complex and may not be suitable for novice users.

Magic, on the other hand, is more easy to use, as per my understanding during the evaluation. Unfortunately, I tried Magic last year and its evaluation version is expired and I can not test it myself.

I am working on a student research project and I was thinking if there is any sort of filter available to only allow the frequency of the "specific sound" for which I am looking to have a visualization. In that case I will only see something on the screen if there is any occurrence of "specific sound" or some similar sound. Although this will not be accurate but I think it will serve the purpose in my research.

regards.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You could use a frequency range to filter out all frequencies except the ones you are looking for. Magic comes with 5 preset frequency filters, but more importantly, it lets you define your own custom filter at a very specific range (for example, just 300 to 310 Hz or something like that).

This section of the User's Guide describes a bit about the frequency ranges: http://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads/ ... ioFeatures

Let me know if that helps.

Eric