Previous topicNext topic

video file option not showing

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
woz

video file option not showing

Post by woz »

HI,
I was playing around with magic 2.0 beta and noticed that the option to load a video file using videofile option in MEDIA was not showing up.
I started up my performer edition of magic and that was the same, I was running 1. 62 so I uninstalled and installed 1.65 .. On first startup the media option for videofile was there and it loaded a video file just fine. However on the second and subsequent start up the option is no longer there ?
my computer is dell xps l702 with windows 10
What to do from here ???
Help would be appreciated
thanks in advance
Magic
Site Admin

Re: video file option not showing

Post by Magic »

Just so I'm sure I understand, you are saying that the VideoFile module isn't in the Media menu in v1.65 ?
woz

Post by woz »

Yep, the videofile option does not show in the menu list. BUT it did show the first time magic was run, I loaded a video and it played. After magic was closed and started again it does not show any more. It does not show in magic 2.0 beta also.
Attachments
screen shot novid
screen shot novid
magic-novid.png (115.14 KiB) Viewed 5928 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It seems like your installation is not finding some of the necessary files. What folder did you install Magic into?
woz

Post by woz »

Hi, magic chose the folders to install to automatically, which are c:/program files / magic
The videofile.dll is in the modules folder along with videocapture.dll which does show in the menu !!!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The modules that are missing (VideoFile and VideoStream) are the ones that use FFmpeg. So the only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of a conflict with FFmpeg. Do you have it installed anywhere else on your system?
woz

Post by woz »

I was messing around with some software a while back and it installed FFmpeg19 but I uninstalled the software. A wise jetsearch shows that 2 of my programs can or do use FFmpeg. How can I see if it is running and stop it ? can,t see it in processes or anything.
It sounds correct that it is a conflict but I am not techie enough to figure it out.
If I load a magic demo project that uses videofile then it gives an error that can not load video.

thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

In your Magic/Modules/Media folder, there are several .dll's which begin with av* and sw*. Do a file search and see if any of those .dll's have duplicates in any other locations on your system. If so, try deleting them (but maybe make a backup first).

I am not sure if this will fix the problem but it's something to try. I've never seen this problem before :(
woz

Post by woz »

Hi,

That was a whila ago , I never got it working properly so magic was out of action for me until I changed my computer...

Am I eligible for a free upgrade to v2 being as I tried the beta test version ? I've not been sent any info about a free upgrade to v 2

also a feature request.

would it be possible for you to create a grid of squares, in each square there would be a thumb nail of a scene so that pressing on a square in the grid would change the scene playing in real time. This way one can get some scenes built and then change them on the fly to whatever music is playing !!

hope my simple explanation is not too simple ??

thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you participated in the V2 Beta testing, you got a free V2 upgrade automatically. You can download the latest V2 version at https://magicmusicvisuals.com/getfullversion

The Playlist is what you would use to change the scenes "on the fly": https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... listWindow. At some point I will be adding a thumbnail image for each scene.
woz

Post by woz »

ok thanks.
a grid of thumbnails. would be nice for someone playing live so they could use the same scenes or videos for more than one tune but easily change the playing order and duration for each tune playing..