Previous topicNext topic

How to make 3D receding dancing gridlines

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
TEHK

How to make 3D receding dancing gridlines

Post by TEHK »

Can anyone suggest how to accomplish something similar to this in Magic or the technique involved?

Sadler

Re: How to make 3D receding dancing gridlines

Post by Sadler »

I would guess that the video you want to emulate is using trapcode particular or plexus or a similar after effects plugin. They are quite powerful but they have a distinct look. That video looks like it is responding only to the beat frequencies and even then quite selectively.

It isn't currently possible to do this type of work in Magic (happy to be corrected) since it doesn't (yet) have a fully fledged particle system. However, the iterator can get you some way towards it.
3d-receding-reactive-particles.png
3d-receding-reactive-particles.png (39.19 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
In this video I use the heightfield and iterator for the majority of the effects.

Studio-dbfx

Re: How to make 3D receding dancing gridlines

Post by Studio-dbfx »

I did this a while back. You can get close to that effect, by creating a Landscape in Blender or other 3D software.

Then send the 3D Landscape to duplicates of Translate-Scale, adjusting the Z Translate and Y Scale parameters, to make the 3D model feel it's one continuous object and connecting them to One Translate Module, with a ramp modifier to make it move forward.

The YouTube video has no sound.